Southwell blanks

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: Southwell blanks

Post by Mushy »

For me the whole Southwell cane thing is really because of the links to the birth of the Mk IV, B James, the new carp record and everything that was happening at that time, never mind the nodes ! Incidentally did Richard Walker endorse Southwell cane, do I assume he sourced blanks from him or was this via the JB Walker link, do we know for sure that JBW used Southwell?
Either way I do love the colour and that's the most important thing isn't it :Chuckle:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

RW certainly got very excited about Bob's 'weasel cane' in later years and wrote to him and asked if it might be produced commercially, but it seems very few rods were made this way and it turns out to possibly have been a bit fragile. https://nobbystackle.wordpress.com/2014 ... he-weasel/

He also wrote that he was getting ready-built blanks to finish off from JB Walker and went on to say they were from Southwell. These were the rods he was building for friends, presumably having finished off the Allcocks culms he was given making rods for himself...or maybe he was just running out of time to plane them himself? He seems to have been particularly satisfied with the blanks:

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Thanks Nobby :Thumb:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”