Hardy Hardex No 1 Mk 2

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Duckett
Tench

Hardy Hardex No 1 Mk 2

Post by Duckett »

I've recently purchased my first bit of vintage Hardy tackle, starting off at the more sensibly priced end with a Hardex No1 Mk2.

She's in good condition for her age with the half-bale working very well but feels a bit stiff winding to me, so I thought I might try cleaning and oiling her. At first glance she looks fairly straightforward from a mechanical point of view but, before I dive in with my screwdrivers, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of any pitfalls in servicing these.

Thanks in advance :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Re: Hardy Hardex No 1 Mk 2

Post by Duckett »

Well, it took me a few weeks but it's done. As per suggestions on this site, I took photos of unassembled bits at every stage so I could put it together again and slowly cleaned, oiled and greased each piece. As a result, I now have a reel which was stiff but I reckon now works as well as the day it was crafted.

I've loaded her with 3lb mono and am going to use her for a little light perch spinning and winter roach bashing. I might even see if drop-shotting works with a half-bail.

As indicated by the lack of replies to my o/p, there weren't any pitfalls. So, by accident it was a perfect gummed up reel to get started on!

Thanks to everyone who has left general advice on reel repair on this site, I doubt that I would have dived in without it.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Well done, I've never even touched a Hardy reel but taking pictures as you go is well worth it, even if you think you know how things fit.
How about a picture or two of your handy work, especially some of the strip down.

JW

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks JW1. Sadly, I may have made a rookie TFF error as I tend not to keep photos I don't need in this digital age, so I deleted them all as soon as the job was done. I'll hang on to them for a while next time I do a refurbishment. I'm not good at making things but stripping down and putting back together have always been something I could do. Though these days, I need a bright light and a magnifier.

Happy to post a picture of the finished article if you are interested. I think the Hardex, whilst tiny, has to be the simplest reel that I have ever pulled apart and it's built like a tank. They are also the cheapest Hardy reels that I have ever seen.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”