American fly rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

American fly rod

Post by Catfish.017 »

Having just trawled through 24 pages of this section I've found no reference to Montague split cane rods. An American company, their products appear to have been quite prolific through the first half of the 20th century. I was recently gifted a bundle of rod sections in poor repair. Mainly whole cane fly rod butts and middles and the butt section of an Allcocks Solent sea rod. Hiding amongst it all were three badly delaminated fly rod sections making a complete rod. A 9ft rod and quite a beast too. My interest was aroused by the fast compound taper of the middle section, alerting me to the fact that it was a little out of the ordinary. No logos present but then I spotted the name Montague on the reel seat so I Googled it and found quite a bit of info about them. I wonder does any one else have any knowledge of this manufacturer or even another rod maybe?

CrayCane
Chub

Re: American fly rod

Post by CrayCane »

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I have heard a reference to Montague rods in one of John Gierachs books it was not very complimentary!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I think the fact that the rod is almost completely delaminated would reinforce John Gierachs opinion of them, then again it is at least 50 years old and probably hasn't been all that well looked after in recent times, latterly being part of an auction bundle.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I have some information for you, I´ll have a look tonight. Best, Bobby

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Catfish, if you pm your Email I can send you some information concerning the Montague Rod & Reel company. Best, Bobby

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I own a Montague reel. Little cracker it is.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25769

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I am indebted to Bobby Marlene who has sent me a wealth of information concerning this company. The picture that emerges reveals that it is very difficult to date a rod from this company as over a long period they absorbed or bought stock from several other makers and would mix and match components at will! Nevertheless it appears my rod is likely to be at least 90 years old. As such it's a shame that the condition of the cane discourages me from any attempt at restoration.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Glad I could help, see you in Gent one day! Best, Bobby

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”