Sidewinder

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Re: Sidewinder

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Yes although a swingtip on butt ( or rod blank) is probably a bit more accurate as it hinges not bends.

The post originator Tizer is looking for one :Wink:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Sorry NN I think I have not made myself too clear in my post.. I have the same hinged bite indicator as yourself, the one with the necklace type eye on the end with the chrome clip for the rod. The quiver type indicator I was referring to can be seen in the link to the new item for sale above by Harry.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Ah....gotcha :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I had hours of fun untangling line and cracking off leads. How I laughed! Why not use a quiver tip?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

SofaSurfer wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:48 pm I had hours of fun untangling line and cracking off leads. How I laughed! Why not use a quiver tip?
It sounds like you are a prime candidate for doing a Pendulum cast with a multiplier without a level wind on a storm swept beach in the snow. Such fun to be had SS. :Wink:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Reedling,

I used to have an Ambassadeur 7000 with level wind. I was quite good at the local recreation ground, I could consistently cast 20 yards without a tangle. Never used it for fishing off the beach, just lowered pirks over the side of the boat. It was the first thing I sold when I discovered ebay.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There were many many types of butt indicator. I made some from small bits of the wire for net curtains with a cane/wire insert. A springtip recently used by Tricast I think. The whole tip collapsing towards the bait when a bite occurred

Or a piece of stiffish wire (piano type wire was excellent) with a V at the end which if it was above the rod with the line on it would show a bite by dipping down! Conversely you could have the reverse/upside down V which went upwards!

It was never ending in the 60's.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Happy days,making a lot of you own gear,I still do.If I am notfishing I am in the shed.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”