Optonics

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Optonics

Post by Dave Burr »

There's a huge market in second hand alarms but mainly in those that are 'high end'. Some anglers change their alarms more often than their socks and chop and change to have either the ideal set up (went through that myself), or to keep up with the very latest 'must have' tech. But I cannot imagine too many expensive alarms turning up at Boot sales. Early Optonics are nice but only valuable if they've been fettled.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I gave my Taperflash away - an angler died from a lightening strike using one of those. I was on the opposite bank.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Most on here might be safe then,not sure but ain't ca**on dodgy as well

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I know nothing about electronic bite alarms apart from the ones with a bit of wire sticking up that you wrapped your line around, a bite caused a buzzer to go off. Is there a site that explains the chronology/evolution of alarms and the various alterations or tweeks that are spoken about.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Reedling wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:01 am I know nothing about electronic bite alarms apart from the ones with a bit of wire sticking up that you wrapped your line around, a bite caused a buzzer to go off. Is there a site that explains the chronology/evolution of alarms and the various alterations or tweeks that are spoken about.
Got a pair of those :::: Sundridge bite alarms with wires/sounder box.

Still working

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

They look a bit upmarket to what I remember, but yes that's the type for sure, thanks for putting a picture up. :Thumb:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Heron copies I think.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

My old fella favoured a champagne cork with two map pins pushed into the end that goes in the bottle. He always carried several, trimmed down to different weights ..... oh, and spare map pins.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Ljm183 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:47 am
Reedling wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:01 am I know nothing about electronic bite alarms apart from the ones with a bit of wire sticking up that you wrapped your line around, a bite caused a buzzer to go off. Is there a site that explains the chronology/evolution of alarms and the various alterations or tweeks that are spoken about.
Got a pair of those :::: Sundridge bite alarms with wires/sounder box.

Still working

:drool:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Reedling wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:58 am They look a bit upmarket to what I remember, but yes that's the type for sure, thanks for putting a picture up. :Thumb:
BJ Bite Alarm

And a really cheap and nasty one the " Magno-Bite Alarm

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”