when is a sealey ' roach ' not a sealey 'roach'

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Chavender
Eel

when is a sealey ' roach ' not a sealey 'roach'

Post by Chavender »

when is a sealey ' roach ' not a sealey 'roach' ,well when it has a different tip section .I have a (proper) sealey 'roach ' rod and one I brought last year ,that although has the right butt section with logo's has a different top section

the one with the different tip (no compound taper) is close in overall taper .

when comparing the two top sections they both have the same ferrule and are interchangeable and very close in measurement the sealey is a tad thicker at the tip ,both sections are correct length at 60" and both around the 1lbs b/s mark

so i'm assuming its a replacement tip .I've measured it and at the tip its 0.100" and by the ferrule whipping its .337" .i'm wondering if its a tip from another rod that just closely matches the sealey roach tip .I would of guessed at it being a chapmans tip but it must of been specially made as there isn't a definite match for it on there site .

thing is its very noticeable the difference as the sealey has a pronounced compound taper and this one is a plain fast taper .so can it really be considered a sealey roach without the signature compound taper ?.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: when is a sealey ' roach ' not a sealey 'roach'

Post by Tengisgol »

All the Sealey Roach rods that I have seen have had that very stepped down taper in the tip.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Tengisgol wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:01 pm All the Sealey Roach rods that I have seen have had that very stepped down taper in the tip.
Same here, Sir.

I'm sure you're right Chavender, Sir ... and the simple tapered tip is a replacement tip
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

well I've been thinking about these rods ,deliberating what i'm going to do with them ,my issues with the sealy roach is just the handle length ,it'd be so much more usable if it was longer ,the choices are I cut and shunt it by taking a couple of inches from the ferrule end and shunt on those recovered inches too the end of the butt.in order to preserve the transfer labels near the front of the handles grip .I've also considered removing the butt cap and see if it can be drilled and given a internal 3/8"" thread and make a screw in extension for it ,if it can't be threaded then maybe fit a fly rod plug in/screw in fighting butt end ,so I can unscrew / remove the original and attach a extension that way.

I contacted the seller of the other one with the replacement top ,it was his dads who cant use it because of the short handle anymore ,and it was a chapmans top he brought and had fitted (a peterstone top section) ,so I now face a choice with this rod ,its not really a sealey roach without the compound tapered top (its main feature) but its not quite a peter stone ledger rod either with that short handle ,it can only be one or the other but just doesn't work as a hybrid of the two .it would be easier too redress this as a peter stone ledger rod as it'd just need a new longer handle fitting and re done as a Nl (newlook) model .as the tip has no inters on it as is ,or I could go mad and add the parts too make it a sp model ,the handles cane is a match dimensionally .

my third option would be too do away with both butt sections and build a different rod with two top sections ,a hollow mid section and a separate tubed handle like a Fred J. Taylor Roach Rod ,I have a mid section in mind and can build the handle and have both tops ,the compound top for roach etc and the stone top for other species .

UMMM choices ,choices

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Sell the one with the "peterstone" tip - no doubt someone on here would like the rod dependent upon price - and start again with a new 'Roach' rod possibly custom built with your handle length and a correctly tapered tip? After all you have the original tapers to get started.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I got Dr Cane himself to lengthen the handle of mine last year and it really has improved the handling, nice rod now, but before the handle was indeed a tad short.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

to be honest if I had too choose between the two ,i'd keep the one with the peter stone top rod,I've had a few sealey roach rods ,like the action of the compound taper of the tip but i'd prefer it if it wasn't in such great condition then i'd happily rebuild it how i'd like it,rather than mess with a decent one. plus I've never owned a peter stone ledger rod (even if it is a tribute rod i'd built) .quite fancy having one

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I had a Sealy roach with the stronger (non taper)tip.It was more of a chub rod.Luckily Jason White had a compound taper tip one that he had just restored and was happy to swap :dance2: .They were both original rods so Sealey offered the stronger rod as a "Roach"as well as the lighter tipped one.The heavier rod would have been fine for feeder fishing for roach in rivers and lakes.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

well I took a deep breath ,then hacked off the sealey's cork and bits ,its deffinatly not a sealey anymore ,its on the road to becoming a Chavender ledgerstrike ,the other sealey "roach" I sold (too nice to mess with) ,my version of a ledgerstrike will conform too chapmans rining etc but the handle will I guess be more a Nl (new look) style or in my world a MT modern type ,no butt cap& button and to differ from chapmans (i'm not copying their look ,i'm imitating it) it won't have the rounded end but flared ends ,a bit like this .....

So it seems I've answered my own question ,when is a sealey "roach" ,not a sealey roach ,well when its a ledger strike in disguise .

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Interesting project Steve.
I have an unrestored Sealey 'Roach', and having read your post, thought I would measure it and compare it to a 'ledgerstrike'...
You are right, it's a similar taper... very similar! Surprised I hadn't noticed this before. My 'Roach' has a straight tapered tip too, which I am sure is original.
I agree regarding the 'Roach' handle length, it is short. On the other hand, I've always felt that the 'Ledgerstrike ' handle was a bit too long. Somewhere in between would be good.
Good luck with your project, and please keep us posted.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”