Spanish Reed Project

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
JW1
Grayling

Spanish Reed Project

Post by JW1 »

Just been reading Chavenders "the on/off/on again off again Spanish reed rod resturation project" which appears to be a timely warning for my current project.
I am converting a Bennet's of Sheffield Spanish Reed match rod into a 2 section landing net handle. It was painted black and I fancied a more natural look so I removed the paint but found that it had seeped deeply into the reed and would require a lot of sanding to remove it.
Then I red the above piece, this rod appeared to have major cracks under the paint, looking at mine it looked fine so I put a coat of varnish on just to see how it would look, despite the ingrained paint.

This revealed cracks in every section from ferrule to but, Oh dear!
I have put a fair bit of pressure on the reed and the cracks seem to be stable, rather than scrap project I think a bit of glue in the cracks and a dowel down the end of the ferrule, plus an extra bit of whipping should be OK for the size of fish I catch.

Was there a follow up to this piece because I would be very interested to see how it went, meanwhile I will agonise over to paint or varnish.

JW

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Spanish Reed Project

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Stain a bit darker, close whip and varnish :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Yes I think you are spot on, I have tried a small sample with mahogany stain and it gives a lovely mellow colour.
Starting on the mid section, low and behold even more splits.
I think for a lightweight pole it will be fine but more worrying is that I have 2 Allcock's and a really nice Albert Smith of Reditch, reed rods waiting for a bit of a spruce up.

JW

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

If I may be as bold to say Sir, with multiple splits is it worth it? Be a terrible shame to spend a lot of time and care over something that may well fail on its first outing.
Just my opinion you understand and please don't take offence. :Hat:

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

No offence taken Paul, the same thought has crossed my mind, so I have put quite a bit of pressure on both section across my knee, probably much more than the fish I catch will ever do. But you are right and it may end up as just a bit of practice and be cannibalised for the mark 2 version which will most likely be in new cane.

JW

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Interresting project, you can now buy 15mm Tonkin cane poles from Ebay if you wanted to make some thing stronger.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”