Rapidex or Trudex

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: Rapidex or Trudex

Post by Reedling »

The Speedia is a lovely reel and the check lever on the top rim is a real bonus, so easy to flick on and off with the same hand that is holding the rod.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

They are both very nice reels.
Due to the caged construction, the Rapidex isn't the best reel for a Wallis cast, but you don't have to worry about the line "falling" off the reel.
I use the Trudex without the line guard. It's good for casting. But if you like batting the reel for retrieving the line, you may find the two points, where the line guard is mounted to, a hindrance.

Before you think about any Aerials or Speedias, you have to consider, that the spokes cause kinks in the line. I use the Speedia only with heavier lines and tackle.

A while ago Chris / Old Tackle had this reel for sale.
http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... 94&t=26217
... might be a good choice!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Richard,
as already said either the Trudex or Rapidex are excellent choice. If you plan to mainly do trotting work in faster currents you will find the reel diameter just the bit too small. I do fish with both Rapidex and Trudex but when trotting there is no question about taking my Match Aerial. It is true, the line does kink but I just love the bigger diameter helping in faster retrieval of the tackle against the current. To avoid the kinked line you may want to think about a 'JW Youngs John Wilson Heritage' pin. Similar feel to the Match Aerial and also 4,5" in diameter. It has a narrow drum without spokes plus the rim check lever and a nice optional line cage. A friend of mine has his for sale. Just drop me a line for pictures if you are interested. I might send it for a tryout...
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have a number of renovated Trudex and Rapidex reels for sale which I intended to take to the next Romsey Tackle Fair. I could PM images if you contact me with what you are after. I don't have any mint condition reels at the moment, but plenty of mechanically good ones, all converted to left hand wind.

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Thanks for all the offers gents but , i have purchased a trudex that should be here this coming week ,Mrs J has however said if i dont like it i can purchase another model
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Richard Jackson wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:51 pm Thanks for all the offers gents but , i have purchased a trudex that should be here this coming week ,Mrs J has however said if i dont like it i can purchase another model
Excellent choice, well done. Its a good safe bet and I think you'll enjoy using it, if not it will always sell on and you shouldn't be out of pocket. Pictures please when it arrives?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Richard Jackson wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:51 pm Thanks for all the offers gents but , i have purchased a trudex that should be here this coming week ,Mrs J has however said if i dont like it i can purchase another model
I am sure you will find you "don't like it" and really need another one :whistle:

Then in time once you've got another, you can let on that you've got used to it :Chuckle:

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

:eyebrow:
Shed_Monkey wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm
I am sure you will find you "don't like it" and really need another one :whistle:

Then in time once you've got another, you can let on that you've got used to it :Chuckle:
That sounds like a good idea
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Shed_Monkey wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Clever! Not just good with your hands, but a pretty good strategist too :eyebrow:
Trouble is, you can only get away with that once, although I probably couldn't get away with it all :fingertap:
I suppose you could always break one though (very carefully) :idea:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Richard,
I am 100% sure you will love your Trudex. I try to compensate the smaller diameter in using the line reversed (meaning coming off off the top of the spool. This way you can (even without looking) put your left thumb on one handle knob and the index finger feeling the other and with a strong flip off the thumb you will get the drum spinning just wonderfully. I use to pull the float back with the rod and then use this technique to get line in as fast as possible while getting the rod back in the 'start pull' position. Hope that makes sense. Very often had good barbel and chub bites in just that period of 'line retrieval'. Martin already said that the knobs that are meant to hold the optional line guard are a bit in the way when 'batting'. Using this technique that is not an issue at all. Plus you don't risk to get your drum spinning in wrong direction as it occasionally happened to me.
Yes, it need a good thought about it when starting (in fear of tangles when you forget about how the line come off) but you will very quickly get used to it. When trotting you only hold one rod, right? If not and you can handle two rods trotting on your own, forget about my stupid words and I will fall on my knees in front of you. :Chuckle:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”