Weetabix

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Ian
Eel

Weetabix

Post by Ian »

Has anyone tried this as a groundbait.
I used to make it sloppy and used a bakers piping bag to fill the feeder.
Fast,efficient and no mess.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: Weetabix

Post by Stour Otter »

Hello Ian.

Been using Weetabix for years. But now use Bixie Wheat Bars (£1.89) from Lidl as they are much cheaper and a far better product, being denser in grain and texture. They make an excellent ground bait on the lakes and you can Frisbee'd whole bars into your baiting area, floating for a while then gently oscillating from side to side as they sink to the bottom, where they will be broken up by the feeding fish. I also use whole bars on the river in near bank slacks while roach fishing and adding crushed bars to your bread mush will stiffen up the mix. My fishing companion often uses them in his pole cup, dropping whole bars over this baiting area.

Bixies Wheat bars.jpg
Regards, Stour Otter.

P.S. Don't be temped to nibble on one, they really dry your mouth out!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stour Otter on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Great idea stout otter
I found them to be a bit stodgy for releasing from the feeder,hence why I made it runny and putting it in a piping bag.
I know roach liked it but I’ve never tried it for anything else.i may stock up on those cheaper ones.a great idea for bulking up for summer.
Tight lines stout otter

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Sorry,stour otter.bloody phones😊

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

When making paste such as from trout pellets, weetabix is a good binder to make it all clog together. Not used it for groundbait though.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Another great idea dave,im always wary of paste cause im not sure how long it lasts on the hook.i will defo be trying this as i have loads of trout pellets to experiment with.
Cheers dave

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

What happens if you bait up using 3 Weetabix? :Hahaha:

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

A friend of mine uses Weetabix as groundbait and a Sugar Puff on the hook, the Sugar Puff makes and excellent pop-up!

Stout Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Mick wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 pm What happens if you bait up using 3 Weetabix? :Hahaha:
Nothing but if you use three shredded wheat...

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ian wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:05 pm Another great idea dave,im always wary of paste cause im not sure how long it lasts on the hook.i will defo be trying this as i have loads of trout pellets to experiment with.
Cheers dave
Just make sure you grind the pellets up as fine as possible - I use a meat grinder. Mix with egg to make a more solid bait to stay on your hook (I wrap it around a bead to give it better purchase) or mix with water for a fast breakdown which is ideal for loose feed :Wink:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”