Walkers BB reel - material used

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Hovis
Tench

Re: Walkers BB reel - material used

Post by Hovis »

Keep going Steve, I for one would be most interest in you progress and efforts. I've found surprisingly little information online regarding reel making as opposed to rod making.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:23 pm Swarf is good stuff too Steve, they make robots wigs out of it you know.

Wal.
Boogie, Boogie :Hahaha:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

As one of those who has been lucky enough to hold the reel Dick Walker made I can say that my very first thought on having it in my hands was how light it was for its size.

Just what it is made from I have no idea and I had just the same surprise in store for me when I held the 'Conquest' made for ted by Leszek. It just might be that Dick had access to a fancy aircraft grade aluminium alloy of similar properties.

The only answer is to get some swarf off Dick's reel and try and light it........over to you, John.........

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Hi Nobby, I have tried to ignite the "Thorndike Reel" with a blow lamp but it just melted the handles and discoloured the front plate.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Fredline wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 am Hi Nobby, I have tried to ignite the "Thorndike Reel" with a blow lamp but it just melted the handles and discoloured the front plate.
Thank you John, when I read this I laughed and spilt cold beer down my shirt!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Fredline wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 am Hi Nobby, I have tried to ignite the "Thorndike Reel" with a blow lamp but it just melted the handles and discoloured the front plate.

Ah, that's a bugger. Still ....easy come easy go..........there'll be another along soon.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:58 am

Ah, that's a bugger. Still ....easy come easy go..........there'll be another along soon.
I may not have used a blow lamp on a reel, but I did once bury an Aerial in the flower bed of my garden! A previous owner had polished it to a “Bright” finish and I was told that burying it for a few weeks would age it! I was not advised to protect the xylonite handles and when I dug it up they had deteriorated badly. It just goes to prove how naive I am, I am honest though! :surrender:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”