Rod storage

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Rod storage

Post by Dendrobaena »

I was wondering if any of you gentlemen out there have the same problem as me. This is, how do you store your rods? I personally have mine suspended from pegs along the walls of my fishing room ( the box room which i am kindly allowed to use by permission of Mrs "D") which is all good , it keeps them nice and strait and warm and dry.
But here is the problem, i was rapidly running out of wall space. Plus no matter how well you label your rods, it is still a pain trying to find the one that you want. Then theirs the ones you have forgotten that you have because you just cannot see them.
My reels and floats etc are all in a glass display case in the living room (for which Mrs "D" is slowly coming to terms with) open the door grab what you want and go, what could be easier.
So how could i get the same sort of solution for my roods and save some space? Well after doing some scouring on the net for ideas here is what i came up with.
It is only 3 feet long made of solid oak ,and on casters so it can be moved if necessary. And the good bit it holds 30 rods, that's 30 rods in a 3 foot space.
Plus you can see at a glance just what you have (i don't think it looks to bad either).
I hope this helps fellow members with the same problem.

Dendrobaena.

PS. still quite a few on the wall though :whistle:

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Rod storage

Post by Paul F »

Nice Rack Neil :Wink:

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

That's a serious amount of rods you have there Sir..!

They certainly look nice in the rack, but constant exposure to light and dust (if the ferrule stoppers are missing) is not really ideal.
The best way has always been to just hang them by the rod bag loops, somewhere free from damp or humidity and where dry air can freely circulate around them.

You cannot better that.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'm afraid I have to agree with Watermole+. It looks nice but it's really not the best way to store your rods. Exposure to UV light along with the dust problem mentioned may play havoc with your rods over time.

You really want them hanging in their bags, loosely tied, preferably in a dark space where they aren't exposed to UV light and that must be dry and of a stable temperature and humidity. Living rooms offer none of those conditions. Of course this may or may not bother you.

I once read an article about the cult of collecting. A fine collection of pocket watches was mentioned – in fact one of the best in the world. It numbered only ten pieces. When the collector found an even better example he bought it and one of the now eleven watches was sold. Do you really need so much? Again please ignore my comment and throw rotten eggs at me for going against the grain of the forum and the spirit of acquisition!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I'm with Beresford with regards to collecting, having handled a few sharps of Aberdeen rods I decided that these rods would be the ones I would collect/fish with and over the years sold on or exchanged other rods, so I now have only really good examples of the ones I wanted.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Beresford wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:00 pm I'm afraid I have to agree with Watermole+. It looks nice but it's really not the best way to store your rods. Exposure to UV light along with the dust problem mentioned may play havoc with your rods over time.

You really want them hanging in their bags, loosely tied, preferably in a dark space where they aren't exposed to UV light and that must be dry and of a stable temperature and humidity. Living rooms offer none of those conditions. Of course this may or may not bother you.

I once read an article about the cult of collecting. A fine collection of pocket watches was mentioned – in fact one of the best in the world. It numbered only ten pieces. When the collector found an even better example he bought it and one of the now eleven watches was sold. Do you really need so much? Again please ignore my comment and throw rotten eggs at me for going against the grain of the forum and the spirit of acquisition!
I'm with you on this one, I have decided only to keep the rods I regularly fish with and have disposed of those which although gorgeous, either do the same job as something else I own or seldom get used. It also takes away the dilemma of which rod to use on a particular day. This philosophy will not stop me buying other rods but having acquired a project rod and having restored it, if it is not a better rod than something I already own or satisfies a different need then I will move it on.
I now own eight rods, two of which will be disposed of leaving me with half a dozen rods which will all perform a specific function.
I do keep them in a rod rack because I like to look at them, but in a controlled environment and with ferrule stoppers bar one rod which will have then soon!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Well I think it's an excellent rod rack, well done :Thumb:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Yes indeed it is, a thing of beauty in its own right!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Post by Dendrobaena »

The rods are kept in my fishing room which is kept at a constant temperature. They are not exposed to direct sun light and i always check and clean my ferrules before and after i use them.

I do not think i will bother to post on here any more.
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Please do not take offence.I have never experienced any sort of unpleasantness from any TFF member and non of those who have posted on this thread have intended to offend.They have just given you their opinion based on experience.That is the purpose of a forum.Members in this thread generously give us details of their experiences and skills and I learn something every time I look at the forum.So carry on posting.I admired both your rods and your rod rack.
Mark Davies

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”