Cleaning rod bags...

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Cleaning rod bags...

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Has any one dry cleaned their rod bag? I have a Milwards rod bag in good condition but grubby, I don't want to machine wash it in case it shrinks. It is made from a fine cotton twill and incorporates a silk label, press studs and a zip. I have never seen such a nice rod bag!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Harry H
Tench

Re: Cleaning rod bags...

Post by Harry H »

I normally just leave mine to soak in Ariel washing liquid for about an hour then rinse in clean water then allow to drip dry on the line. Then give it an iron but don't iron the label, I've never had a problem with shrinking.
Make sure the water isn't to hot I normally give it a stir with my hand something quite nice at seeing all those years of grime cloud the water.
Those bags are really nice, I've only seen them before with the versa range.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duckett
Tench

Re: Cleaning rod bags...

Post by Duckett »

On the recommendation of a friend of a friend who works as a fabric conservator, any non-bio delicate wash liquid (it will say for wool, silk and cashmere) at 20C or 30C. Either hand wash or in a washing machine on the wool cycle but slow spin and adjust the temp. if needed. Air or drip dry but not in direct sunlight on a hot summers day. Has never let me down. I use Sainsbury’s version - small clear bottle, pink label. Don’t iron, she says that’s strictly for experts.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”