Barbelseeker offers apologies but not to BT

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Barbelseeker offers apologies but not to BT

Post by Barbelseeker »

Gentleman,
I originally joined on March 27 2017, after much badgering of Mark. It would appear that my BT account didn't work, I didn't receive any responses and Mark kindly rectified this. I thought all was great but lately more emails had not arrived, from a lot of other organisations especially if sent on a group distribution basis. So still trying to sort that out but at least got back on here. Thank you Mark and Banksy and hello Bob Brookes.

So I better introduce myself further and this is the extract I sent to Mark originally-
"Dear Mark,

...... There is no way that I would consider using the Forum as a basis for selling of any of the rods/reels or other items of tackle that I have – these are with me until I die or until I no longer have the capacity to go fishing.

My introduction to fishing commenced from the day I was born, since my father was a basket weaver and used to make fishing baskets for tackle dealers across the Midlands. Whilst we all may be biased about our parents, I know that my father made the best fishing baskets since his were all tightly woven and very sturdy. I can still tell one of his fishing baskets from the tight weave and picking (cutting the loose ends) of the willow. He supplied such tackle dealers as Tom Watson and Savages of Nottingham, as well as those who had shops in Lincoln, Newark, Leicester, Coventry and Sheffield. From these contacts came my love of fishing the Trent on traditional seed baits tutored by Steve Calcott and other anglers from Sheffield, who used to practise on the Trent about 600m from our home at Sutton on Trent. I have to say at the tender age of 12-16 – I spent more time cycling to fishing and either falling off, because a bank stick or rod got caught in my front wheels than doing my homework!

Whilst I consider myself a good modest fisherman, I am basically a pleasure fisherman, although I did have a stint of 18 years being the Secretary of a small organisation, the Nottingham Piscatorial Society, being responsible for many environmental improvements and securement of long leases into Society Ownership – thus protecting some much valued and prized waters set in some of the Midlands best angling surroundings. Being in the company of illustrious names such as Jim Sharpe, Will Willcox, Ken Clower, Bob Watson, Horace Waterfall with their skilful approach to angling and treasured values about the sport, have always placed me on a path of enjoying rather than out-and-out competing either for a total weight or specimen fish.

I now and have for the last 20 years preferred to use and own traditional cane rods which allow you to feel the heartbeat of the fish and every twist and movement. I have about 25 cane rods ranging from Hardy Fly rods – to Richard Walker Mk IV – signed Angling Times prize rod 1959 - which I have just had re-rung and whipped to original speciation and aiming to give it a go on my beloved Trent. I feel that at an age of nearly 70, I have many experiences and knowledge that I could share, and I see this forum as being one where one is treated with the respect that I expect to give to others – “Brothers of the angling fraternity”.

Peter Olko

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: Barbelseeker offers apologies but not to BT

Post by Black Prince »

Hello and :welcome: mike

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome back Peter.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Welcome Peter. :Hat:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Well done Peter - this is a quite outstanding forum where you will find members that know just about everything there is to know about coarse fishing, and if they don't, they know someone who does. I joined in June 2017 and the TFF has made a massive positive difference to my life as I move into semi retirement.......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Welcome at last to the Forum

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome Peter

Tom
Rudd

Post by Tom »

WELCOME!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Thank you for that warm welcome - a shame it is not as warm outside - snowing here in deepest Nottinghamshire

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”