Light weight Very Strong Low Fishing Chair

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Light weight Very Strong Low Fishing Chair

Post by Penninelad »

I am a wrecker of fishing chairs ! Today, much to Bendsomecane's amusement, the frame of my Nash Ultralite Low Chair bent and deposited me backwards. Its done it before! On examining the frame its the aircraft grade aluminium tubing could not cope with my 6'1" frame and my 16 stones(now I know why I am not happy flying)! I was very gentle with it and never flopped.I have bent it back into shape but it will go again. I am not "a fat boy" but the only chairs that appear to able to cope with my weight are chairs built for obese carp anglers reared on pot noodle and lager! I generally do a lot of moving about when I am fishing so the chair needs to be light. Research suggests JRC Stealth XLo may be suitable. Any advice would be welcomed before I contact Weight Watchers or ask my GP to be put on the waiting list to have a gastric band fitted !
Mark Davies

Aitch
Pike

Re: Light weight Very Strong Low Fishing Chair

Post by Aitch »

Avid transit low chair... £39 folds up small, easy to pop up and pack down, comes in a neat little bag and is very comfy....
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

I have a low chair built in steel tubing by JRC. It’s bombproof very strong and will stand up to a lot of abuse. Downside is obviously it’s a bit heavier than lightweight aluminium one, but not ludicrously so.

Drop me a PM if interested.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have one the JRC ultralight recliner chairs. It's one of the single best purchases of fishing gear I've ever made as it makes so much difference to the comfort of my days. I hate carrying fishing stuff as it makes me loathe to move if I need to but honestly this is so light that I have no hesitation in recommending it. I'm fairly sure it's rated up to 18 stone. I paid £75 about three years ago.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Thanks for the advice.I am investigating your suggestions,but steel frames seats seem to be stronger than the so called "aircraft grade aluminium" .The extra weight seems marginal.
Mark Davies

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

I can confirm to all that the amusement only last for around 5-10 seconds. :Hahaha:

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I agree that aluminium is prone to fracturing and steel is a much stronger material. I'm only a little chap so I found the carrying weight difference to be significant hence my decision to go as light as possible, whilst still retaining the recliner feature that was very important to me. However, it sounds as if an extra few pounds won't be an issue to you and in that instance I'd definitely go for steel over ali.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Mark, JRC XLite aluminium frame, very light and strong and I haven't been able to wreck it after 5 years use.
I imagine it will even suit all 6'1 of you as well......
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Personally, I avoid low chairs like the plague! There's nothing worse than struggling to stand up from them on a muddy bank when playing a big fish. Give me a cheap and cheerful higher fold up chair any day. I had a good chubb fold up but gave it away!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”