Royal military canal [HYTHE]

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Totman
Minnow

Royal military canal [HYTHE]

Post by Totman »

Just wondering having fished the military at hythe on a regular basis over 40 years ago , used to catch some fine bream carp and tench .
used to seem strange fishing there with the sea not to far behind where you would be fishing .
Does anyone have an update on the military canal ,would be very interested
regards totman [john]

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Royal military canal [HYTHE]

Post by Tengisgol »

I can remember going there on my club coach outings in the 1980's (edit late seventies actually). I'd never fished a canal before and, as a twelve year old, I can recall looking in my books and reading up about the 'boat channel'. The Royal Military has left a beautiful image in my mind. My little float sitting just past the lily pads and catching a few roach and perch.

I'd be interested in an update too.
Last edited by Tengisgol on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Still fishes well chaps and is just as peaceful as it always was. The tench and bream fishing can be superb, the big carp are still in there, but not in huge numbers as are very good pike.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

RBTraditional wrote:Still fishes well chaps and is just as peaceful as it always was. The tench and bream fishing can be superb, the big carp are still in there, but not in huge numbers as are very good pike.
Just how I remember it Rob :Thumb:

Military days n ways

Speak soon

Stuart

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

It featured on Country File on Sunday it looked lovely, apparently built as a defensive structure against invasion from Napoleon.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Harry H wrote:It featured on Country File on Sunday it looked lovely, apparently built as a defensive structure against invasion from Napoleon.
The Military' canal as you rightly say was built as a defensive structure from Napoleon invasion but it never got used as the war actually finished before they finished the defence :Hat:

Stuart

Guggs

Post by Guggs »

I'll be in Hythe for a few days in the coming week and I'm planning to fish the RM Canal for the first time ever. My favourite species is gudgeon so can anyone give me a few tips on the best places to hunt for them? I'll have several sessions during the week and I travel light with a roving approach so distance from road access is no problem.

Guggs

Post by Guggs »

Today I fished Hamstreet and West Hythe. Plenty of rudd, beautiful roach and a few small perch plus three eels but no gudgeon.

HELP!!!

FloatFisher
Minnow

Post by FloatFisher »

There is a dyke or drain which runs on the Northern side of the canal by the bridge to the south of Hamstreet village. Are there any fish in it?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I am able to fish the Rother Fishery Assn section - but never even seen it!

Return to “Other Canals”