1950 Edo Wazao Pole Unfished.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

1950 Edo Wazao Pole Unfished.

Post by Fredline »

When it comes to traditional angling then nothing comes simpler than a length of bamboo and a bent pin fished Huckleberry Finn style. In this case it is 14 pieces. I bought this last week and picked it up at Romsey, it is new in the 15" x 4" box and comes with all the relevant paperwork, amazing for 60 years old. The style of pole is called Edo Wazao and is a traditional Japanese art form. The Edo comes from Tokyo where the craft originated as Tokyo was known as Edo at that time. It is 13' 3" when put together and is very light and straight. The lacquered finish is to die for. The bottom handle section is crafted from a tapered type of bamboo that is no longer exists in Japan.The extra fine dyed whalebone tip, picture 4, is a piece of artwork in its own right, it is so fine and yet very flexible. The style of fishing used with these poles is to catch the "smallest" fish. The winner over on these shores would be the loser. I find that format wonderfully refreshing when you consider this modern obsession with personal bests and the biggest. Can the smallest be a "personal best?" Or is it a "personal worst?" Overall a superbly tactile object that can be a little tricky to put back as 3 pieces.
ImageImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: 1950 Edo Wazao Pole Unfished.

Post by Olly »

I have long admired the Japanese poles and the care taken to produce one.

See below:-
https://craftsmanship.net/bamboo-take-t ... ing-poles/

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Absolutely stunning! But I think watching me trying to pack it back up would be almost as entertaining as watching me trying to fold up an O/S map

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Wonderful craftsmanship and artistry.

Wal.

Muscavado
Grayling

Post by Muscavado »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:26 pm Wonderful craftsmanship and artistry.

Wal.
Let me know when you go into production Master Wal, so I can place my order

Grasshopper :dancing:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:54 pm When it comes to traditional angling then nothing comes simpler than a length of bamboo and a bent pin fished Huckleberry Finn style. In this case it is 14 pieces. I bought this last week and picked it up at Romsey, it is new in the 15" x 4" box and comes with all the relevant paperwork, amazing for 60 years old. The style of pole is called Edo Wazao and is a traditional Japanese art form. The Edo comes from Tokyo where the craft originated as Tokyo was known as Edo at that time. It is 13' 3" when put together and is very light and straight. The lacquered finish is to die for. The bottom handle section is crafted from a tapered type of bamboo that is no longer exists in Japan.The extra fine dyed whalebone tip, picture 4, is a piece of artwork in its own right, it is so fine and yet very flexible. The style of fishing used with these poles is to catch the "smallest" fish. The winner over on these shores would be the loser. I find that format wonderfully refreshing when you consider this modern obsession with personal bests and the biggest. Can the smallest be a "personal best?" Or is it a "personal worst?" Overall a superbly tactile object that can be a little tricky to put back as 3 pieces.
ImageImageImageImage
That is a thing of beauty and wonderful Japanese craftsmanship Fredline.

A few years ago, inspired by articles I had read about Japanese Tanago fishing (where the winner does indeed catch the smallest), I got hold of a Tenkara pole of the ultra-light variety used to fish headwaters and some Tanago hooks. True Tanago poles seemed to me too short, at up to 5 feet, for the sort of rivers I was able to try it out on. Combined with tiny floats and minimal shot, I had some wonderful sessions catching minnows, Gudgeon, the odd stickleback and various baby fish. Even a Gudgeon can put a hell of a bend in one of those poles. However, the most fun I had was in checking fish stocks in a small, shallow pond that had suffered 2 lack of oxygen fish kills in 3 years. It turned out to have a substantial population of carp of between 1 and 3 inches and I had a wail of a time catching them. Japanese angling is very different but it has techniques which we can learn from and adapt.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

That is a lovely piece of kit John, in superb condition too! I look forward to seeing it when I visit you next!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Muscavado wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:58 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:26 pm Wonderful craftsmanship and artistry.

Wal.

Velly good Glasshopper. :Chuckle:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:13 pm
Muscavado wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Wal.

Velly good Glasshopper. :Chuckle:
bruddy sirry trit :Happy:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I found a method for putting the pole together in the right order. Lay the pieces out from the handle descending to the smallest and them take the handle and every 3rd piece placing them inside one and other. Then every 2nd piece and finally what is left. The tip goes into one of these finished sections. Quite simple really.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”