TAG BARNES

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
The Fishing Priest
Stickleback

TAG BARNES

Post by The Fishing Priest »

Can anyone give some information on Tag Barnes please .................

Troydog
Tench

Re: TAG BARNES

Post by Troydog »

Thank you for this post - it prompted me too dig out my three Angling Times books, published in the early sixties. That is where I remember seeing Tag Barnes name. Although he is listed as a contributor to book number four I couldn't find any articles in that book by him. In book two he had an article called "Barbel and the 'secret' of the sausage" so that is a clue about his interests. Very little other writing that I can find........
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

CaneTincaCatcher
Ruffe

Post by CaneTincaCatcher »

I have just checked and I have a copy of The Exploring Angler,an Angling Times book first printed in 1964 by Tag Barnes. I also think that some Cane carp rods have also carried his name

The Fishing Priest
Stickleback

Post by The Fishing Priest »

I think in my den I have another book by him called 'Waterside Companions'. But I have acquired a Sportex blank hollow glass Carp rod named 'Tag Barnes, hence the interest. It an unusual name too, I remember RAG TAG AND BOBTAIL a kids TV programme from the 50's. I wonder what his proper name was? or is that just it???

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

There are loads of books he was author or contributor, check out this site
https://www.anglebooks.com/catalogsearc ... tag+barnes

THE ART OF ROACH AND BREAM FISHING. ANGLING PAPERBACKS SERIES NO.9, is a great little book :Thumb:

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

The Fishing Priest wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:50 am Can anyone give some information on Tag Barnes please .................
There was another recent thread about him here: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=27359 which has some stuff on his background. Checking ancestry records produces some evidence his actual name was Ernest. Very important that.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Having a lovely time reading selected articles from these three AT yearbooks - some great writers and some great articles!!
John Harding

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Tag Barnes MM started angling in the 1920’s, he work as a landscape gardener for some years, before switching to selling fishing tackle. When World War 2 started he enlisted in the Army, bored with no action he volunteered for the Commandoes serving with No 1 commando, seeing action in North Africa and other countries. He eventually ended up fighting the Japanese in Burma taking part in the ferocious battle for Hill 170 at Kankaw in the Arakan which is thought hastened the end of the war by several weeks. He was a very popular writer in the angling press, also author of several books including Commando Diary, his final book was Angling Memories. I felt proud to be asked to write the foreword. Tag and myself had some enjoyable fishing on the Upper Ouse in the 60’s, in the last few years of his life we had many enjoyable days fishing the River Urr. On one occasion Tag, Kate and myself started the season on this river Urr with a midnight start fishing for barbel. He was a very knowledgeable bird watcher, every year he would travel north to the Scottish islands seeking the very rare corncrake. Tag was a great companion and is sorely missed.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Brilliant Martin - what a wonderful summary for Tag Barnes. It is quite extraordinary what people achieve unbeknown to most. Thank you for posting this - I will search out more of his writing forthwith....
John Harding

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Martin,
many thanks for that information; I'd heard that Tag had served in the commandos but didn't know any details. Do you know anything about Tag fishing in the East Riding of Yorkshire? I know he fished River Hull and probably Hornsea Mere. When I was in my late teens I went into Duncans Gun and Tackle shop in Hull and was told that I'd just missed Tag who had left the shop a couple of minutes before.
Duncan's was the shop of Stanley Duncan who founded WAGBI although it was run by his two sons at the time.
Regards,
Phil

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”