Storing built cane tips in tip protectors

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Duckett
Tench

Storing built cane tips in tip protectors

Post by Duckett »

I'm lucky enough to have a whole cane landing net handle that doubles up as a tip protector. As it happens, it fits perfectly the very delicate looking tip of my Homer combination rod. Now, as the tip doesn't have it's own section in the Homer rod bag, I was wondering what people think might be the risks of storing it permanently in the landing net handle (clean and dry, of course)?

My inclination is to think it's OK as I have a pre-World War I Martin James rod which was built with the intention of storing the built/whole cane tip inside the whole cane butt section. That seems not to have come to any harm over the last 100+ years!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: Storing built cane tips in tip protectors

Post by Black Prince »

It should be okay as you say clean and dry :Thumb: mike

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Probably the safest place to keep the tip Phil. My problem would be remembering I had put it there. :Hahaha:

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Black Prince wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:42 pm It should be okay as you say clean and dry :Thumb: mike
Cheers Mike!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:09 pm Probably the safest place to keep the tip Phil. My problem would be remembering I had put it there. :Hahaha:

Wal.
That did cross my mind Wal. It's the Record Breaker themed one you fixed up for me. Funny thing is, before you cleaned it up, I couldn't get the tip all the way in ..... somehow you've free up about two extra inches! :dance2:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Duckett wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:58 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:09 pm Probably the safest place to keep the tip Phil. My problem would be remembering I had put it there. :Hahaha:

Wal.
That did cross my mind Wal. It's the Record Breaker themed one you fixed up for me. Funny thing is, before you cleaned it up, I couldn't get the tip all the way in ..... somehow you've free up about two extra inches! :dance2:
There was something loose inside one of the net poles but I cant remember which one to be honest. I could hear it rattling inside as I was cleaning them up but I couldn't see anything so whatever it was must have fallen out and given you the extra room. It might have been an old rod ring.

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:09 pm
Duckett wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Wal.
There was something loose inside one of the net poles but I cant remember which one to be honest. I could hear it rattling inside as I was cleaning them up but I couldn't see anything so whatever it was must have fallen out and given you the extra room. It might have been an old rod ring.

Wal.
Cheers Wal! :Thumb:

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Yer should be fine in there. Perfect place for it.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Personally I wouldn't as it will lean to one side to rest against the inside wall of the tube. The usual hanging up in the rod bag with air circulating is preferable.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Beresford wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:40 pm Personally I wouldn't as it will lean to one side to rest against the inside wall of the tube. The usual hanging up in the rod bag with air circulating is preferable.
Well, the splinter group have given me something to think about! :Hat:

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”