Which bird quills?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Which bird quills?

Post by Marc »

I think they're Ostrich. Either way, a lifetimes supply of wagglers.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Apparently only young male peacock feathers are this thin and long. I read it somewhere......was it a Billy Lane book? He was shown them by a bird 'fancier' of his acquaintance and was told they are usually discarded as they are no use to the hat industry.
I believe these are what Peter Drennan used for his iconic and rare Tench Perfection floats...

Maybe that's what you have?

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Odd that what seemed such a simple question is a puzzle. I thought Peacock originally but expected peacock quills to have pigment to them. Either way they are going to be parcelled up and sent to our favourite Scottish float maker to see what he can do with them 👍
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Drennan-Te ... 7675.l2557

Like these - very slim - but buoyant stems.

For most quills the stem in not really coloured - the "feathery" bits are! I have goose, duck, peacock, crow, magpie, pigeon, - all of which when stripped are white or whitish.

Remember also that peacocks can be white in colouring, albinos - not all blue/green/etc. My peacock herls are multicoloured.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Pretty sure they're peacock; straight, white, and in sufficent numbers to be bundled up.
Rare to find them so long, most ended up being cut into one-foot sections and sold in bundles or singly.
I'd suggest using them for "Missile" floats, as pieces long enough for those are now rare; and if any are fine enough at the thin end (they look as though the saleable "eyes" have been cut off), reserve those for the tench "onion" patterns mentioned above.
Then again, it might be worth checking to see if anyone would still use a Missile...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

The answer to this dilemma is obvious - I just googled it for the benefit of fellow TFF members:

Argentavis – flying bird, wingspan 16.7 – 19.9 feet. Before the discovery of Pelagornis sandersi, Argentavis magnificens was hailed as the largest flying bird to have ever existed. Also known as the “giant teratorn”, Argentavis had an estimated wingspan of 16.7–19.9 feet.

Very well spotted sir
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I've just measured up some peacock quill I have which are intact except for the eye on the end of the feather. With the eyespot they would be 4ft long!

If you know anyone who keeps peafowl ask if they would save the feathers for you. I got mine from a lady in the village who saved them for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDvFdj-pFMc

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Yours truly trying out a new method of quill harvesting whilst out on a bike ride... :Wink:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Paul D wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:52 pm
Olly wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:00 pm I cannot think of many - if any - birds with straight quills as long as that! Other than a peacock.

Giant pheasant perhaps - usually only tail feathers are straight - wing quills have a curve.
I agree Olly although Ostrich or emu could be a possibility?
OK, I have a weakness for quill floats, being the first float I ever fished with, and those two suggestions intrigued me over my chicken and avocado buttie, so I did a spot of googling.

Long trimmed Ostrich feathers are available to the hat trade at 20-24 inches but can grow longer. They look to be fairly stiff from the photographs. Clearly an option and Ostrich is farmed in the UK (for meat) and South Africa (for meat and hat trade).

Emu feathers are available for "craft and fishing lures" from at least one farm in the USA. They can be 18 inches or longer. However, they are described as being like straw and unsuitable for quill pen making, so I rather think they might only be suitable as an alternative to crow quill floats.

Just to be complete, I checked the Rhea as well. Their feathers appear to be only 6-8 inches long at the maximum.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Reedling wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 am Yours truly trying out a new method of quill harvesting whilst out on a bike ride... :Wink:
Are you sure you are just after the quills? I'm told that they make excellent eating. :Sarcasm:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”