Warburtons Toastie Pockets

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Warburtons Toastie Pockets

Post by Match Aerial »

That could be a great idea .
Those punches look just the job as well.

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Someones used there loaf :idea:
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Stour Otter wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 pm Picked up a pack of "Warburton's Toastie Pockets" to use with bread punches on the pole/float ledger. The interesting thing with this product is that they are semi-cooked and you can also add a flavouring to the inside pocket and punch through, giving the baited hook a semi-paste flavoured sandwich. Several punches could also be used on a hair-rig if that is your penchant. If using Garlic Puree do watch any contact with fingers to eyes, it stings like hell. The propelling punches where bought from an on-line auction site. Looking forward to trying these in the new season on the river for the roach.

Stour Otter
I've been trying to find these since you posted your excellent suggestion but can't find them anywhere. So, extending your thinking, I just purchased a packet of Warburtons Thins (soft white, sliced). They don't look as doughy as the Toastie Pocket but I'm going to five them a go with sliced cheese and various paste flavourings over the weekend to see if they work.

I wonder if anything will fancy a salmon paste and cucumber sandwich?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Duckett wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:59 am
Stour Otter wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 pm Picked up a pack of "Warburton's Toastie Pockets" to use with bread punches on the pole/float ledger. The interesting thing with this product is that they are semi-cooked and you can also add a flavouring to the inside pocket and punch through, giving the baited hook a semi-paste flavoured sandwich. Several punches could also be used on a hair-rig if that is your penchant. If using Garlic Puree do watch any contact with fingers to eyes, it stings like hell. The propelling punches where bought from an on-line auction site. Looking forward to trying these in the new season on the river for the roach.

Stour Otter
I've been trying to find these since you posted your excellent suggestion but can't find them anywhere. So, extending your thinking, I just purchased a packet of Warburtons Thins (soft white, sliced). They don't look as doughy as the Toastie Pocket but I'm going to five them a go with sliced cheese and various paste flavourings over the weekend to see if they work.

I buy my Warburton's Toastie Pockets from the Co-op. With four in a pack, its a good idea once the pack in open to put the rest in a plastic sealed zip-bag, as they tend to dry out very quickly. I'm thinking "Princes Sardine & Tomato Paste", or "Shippams Tuna & Sweetcorn", yummy!

Tight lines
Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Stour Otter wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 pm
I buy my Warburton's Toastie Pockets from the Co-op. With four in a pack, its a good idea once the pack in open to put the rest in a plastic sealed zip-bag, as they tend to dry out very quickly. I'm thinking "Princes Sardine & Tomato Paste", or "Shippams Tuna & Sweetcorn", yummy!

Tight lines
Stour Otter
[/quote]

Thanks for this SO.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Stour Otter wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:02 pm
Duckett wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:59 am

Stour Otter

Tight lines
Stour Otter
Well, I tried the Warburtons Thins made into a sandwich with a slice of Kraft Cheese on Saturday on a water I’d not fished before. It stayed on the hook well and caught some Roach plus a couple of Bream. I did miss a lot of bites though, so I need to work on how I hook it I think.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Like the rod and reel combo Duckett. I use 8 & 11mm punches on a size 8 or 10 hook with the shotting very low a few inches from the hook when float/ledgered. This will get the bait down to the bottom fast, giving less time for the small fry to attack it, when fishing over the area ground baited with "Bixies" or "Weetabix".

S.O.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

An interesting idea, many thanks! Should make a great base for cheese paste, and ought to be good for bream and tench.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Good idea Stour Otter. The handy thing is if you don't catch on the bait you can always eat it...I love those Sandwich Pouches. Well done on trying something different. Incidentally, could you tell us a bit more information about your groundbait options, they sound interesting!!!

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

ExeAngler wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:26 am Good idea Stour Otter. The handy thing is if you don't catch on the bait you can always eat it...I love those Sandwich Pouches. Well done on trying something different. Incidentally, could you tell us a bit more information about your groundbait options, they sound interesting!!!

Started using Bixie's (lidl) a couple years ago, mostly on still water as they are very convenient for taking on a fishing holiday. Used Bixies for the first time last winter on the Dorset Stour with great success in those off the main current back slack/eddies, then dropping a light rolling ledger on a long tail across the baited up area, with crust or punched pouch as hook bait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”