Tom Watsons of 5 Canal Street Nottingham

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Tom Watsons of 5 Canal Street Nottingham

Post by Barbelseeker »

Thanks Shaun, sure we must have met in Walkers when John and his wife were in charge, but you were maybe then a young employee. Many years ago.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I worked there from 1980 until 2005 when I left to concentrate on my own business.
I used to bump into Billy Clarke and Alan Lane at the various trade shows. I fished the Wye for Salmon with Alan whilst with John Walker, but never shared bank space with Billy.

The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

Post by The Mudway Dangler »

I've just found a Tom Watson Rod - The Mosquito a 13' foot reed rod with a split can top section. The top eye, although probably original, has been re-whipped, and the rod is dated as No. 12 - 1952 possibly one of the first to be built by Tom Watson?
Since acquiring a few other cane rods for use, I really don't want this, and as it in such perfect condition, hope one of our fellow members may make me a reasonable offer?
To catch is good, to return your catch is better.....

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

The Tom Watson Scorpion was made from 1956-57 and was sold as a 3pce 11ft.6" and 13ft with a Japanese butt with tonkin middle and built cane tip.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I don't think Tom made his own rods but had them made for him. I'm utterly convinced many were made to Aspindale spec by Manor Way ex-employee Ken Johnson and possibly by Peter Aspindale later on.

The 'Japanese' cane butt section seems to be the name used at the time for a whole cane butt, but I doubt it actually came from Japan.....more likely China. Ted Oliver mentioned it to me, maybe he could confirm the source?

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Paul PM Sent

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”