Coarse fishing by Arthur E Hardy.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Reedling
Catfish

Coarse fishing by Arthur E Hardy.

Post by Reedling »

Last week I visited my local bootfair and although finds were rather sparse I did pick up a number of little books for very little outlay. In amongst them was a little book titled, 'Beginners guide to Coarse fishing' by Arthur E. Hardy and whilst flicking through it I was amazed at what a good little book it is for a beginner. Despite being dated this little book will provide a newcommer to the values that a traditional angler aspires to. I particularly like the section on The Country code, safety and the law.. a few words from the book..Always lock gates after you, if you dont cattle could stray into crops, become bogged down in mud or damaged by road vehicles. Dont light fires in dry weather, Dont leave litter, loose nylon can trap and kill birds and small mammals. Respect trees and shrubs and other wild plants. Dont disturb or hurt water fowl, and other wild birds, farm animals, nesting birds. Car and Motorcycle parking is covered as is shouting, water pollution etc etc. The law is covered in that you cannot just fish anywhere you want. There is a little section near the end when there is a group who go fishing here is a few words from that section.. Hello Al, you look pretty happy, what luck have you had? Sixteen Crucian carp and two small tench,eh? Not bad, what did the largest Crucian weigh? Pound and a half? Thats quite a good un for this water. Whats that Phil? You fancy a crucian or two?(Phil is a youngster who has just started fishing) All right, drop in beside Alan. Scale your tackle down a bit, thats right, smaller float, smaller hook.. with one of those little marsh worms on. Hold it, Alans got another crucian; well done mate, its about half a pound- and how they fight. Your floats moving Phil...
A nice little touch in the introduction is what benefits fishing will give you... people will mention how well you look... You will smile inwardly. But when it happens, you have joined the elite, you're a coarse fisherman. Later in life when non fishing friends are jaded, grey shadows of their former selves- you, in your infinite good fortune will pity and perhaps try to convert them etc etc. I think it is a great introduction if not a little dated to what fishing and being by the waterside is all about. I am not a good one with words but do have a read and maybe reccomend it to a friend whom you wish to benefit from our great pursuit.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Re: Coarse fishing by Arthur E Hardy.

Post by Shed_Monkey »

That sounds just like my kind of book. Thank you for sharing.

Reedling
Catfish

Re: Coarse fishing by Arthur E Hardy.

Post by Reedling »

I love it and my wife is going to leave it at the surgery for patients to have a read whilst they wait.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”