Making an Aerial-Match

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Evert van der Plas
Perch

Re: Making an Aerial-Match

Post by Evert van der Plas »

outstanding work, this will be also a master piece

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Absolutely wonderful work Leszek, I for one cant wait to see the first reel completed.

The web between the line pillars will certainly prevent any line kinking and yet it still looks amazingly original, a very nice touch indeed.

Any regrets on deciding to make six of them or will each one get easier now you have the sequence in mind.

Wal.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

An update on further progress:-

I have been trying to get the bronze centre hub made for quite a while now. Although it might not appear so, this is without doubt, the most difficult component of the whole reel to make, because it has to be both precise in dimensions, perfect finish in both bores and entirely concentric on all diameters. Apart from that, each groove has a 5/32" wide slot at the base, 180 degrees apart from each other through which the fork tongues enter the bore and lock into the groove in the spindle. Everything has to be relative to the six 1/16" tapped holes for the spokes and the three tapped holes on the face of the shoulder. ( On the original, the hub, line drum and check wheel are held captive together by two rivets and not wanting to spend more time & outlay building a set up for the precise riveting of this assembly, I thought that we could achieve the same result by screwing all three parts together instead, using tiny M1.4 stainless screws).

On account of the complexity of this component, I made enough hubs for all of them-plus one spare-as a small batch whilst all the various tools were set up. However, because of various problems encountered with the lathe and trying to maintain the necessary accuracy, it took much longer than anticipated, an average of three days to make each one in fact and through this plus other work, I have not been able to post for some time now.

However, I am now pleased to report that the last two hubs were finished and checked this morning so here are a couple of pictures.
I only took two during manufacture; the first is boring out the spindle diameter and the second of putting in the tapped holes for the spokes.
Click on the images for a better picture..

The remainder of the original stock material is in the background here:-

The next task will be to make some sixty-odd, nickel silver spokes..

Regards from wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

As ever such fine attention to detail and the quality of your workmanship will, without a doubt, make these centrepins the jewel in the forthcoming owner's collections I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the construction.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Stunning workmanship on those complex little centrehubs, Leszek.

I see the original run of 6 has now increased to 12.............

The words 'glutton' and 'punishment' spring to mind.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Those hubs, though an individual component of the finished article, are a work of art in their own right! Beautiful work indeed sir! :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Another step forward in the making of a masterpiece, wonderful work! :Hat:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Lovely work Leszek :Hat:

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Its a pleasure to follow this very entertaining and intersting subject, precision work allways takes time as one mistake and it's in the scrap bin. look forward to the next posting

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

A little bit more work now done towards them.

The next task was to make all the spokes..Sixty (plus spares) of the plain ones and twelve fully-threaded ones.
In the event, this was not as straightforward as hoped and I spent more time than I thought I would on them. The biggest problem was accurately cutting the 0.015" screwdriver slots, but in the end, I went back to the original method of individually doing them on the lathe with a fine tool. It was slow, but steady work.
These are now all ready for cleaning up and polishing..

The forks, springs and fittings have still to be made, but I assembled some spokes on our "trial" reel to see what they will look like..

The next step is to make the check wheels. These will be screwed on instead of being riveted. That way, one can always be renewed if necessary. However, I am now making these from tool steel and hardening them up, so they should last a few years..!
Stage 1. was to turn up the 'blanks' and bore them out..

That is the inside which butts up against the line drum.
This is the outside which you see; the holes have been countersunk for the screws.

Cutting the ratchet teeth is rather labour intensive. I have done two so far and they have been hardened and quenched, ready to fit..

Here is one fitted in position. It looks a little bit big, but is the exact size of the original..

That's about it for now I'm afraid..

..Will post again later after a bit more progress..

Regards to all,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”