Jack Hargreaves

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Jack Hargreaves

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends,I have just received a new book called fishing for a year,I think it puts a good picture on traditional angling as us older ones know,the drawings by B V are an added joy as to our modern angling scene that has put the modern army of commercial fisherman to be the trend .It is well worth a read and add to a collection ,the Medlar press is the publisher to thank for the brilliant books Thank you.Reelmaker

Fredline
Tench

Re: Jack Hargreaves

Post by Fredline »

I agree it is an excellent book. Original copies from 1951 sell for a few quid. When you consider that these 2 great angling minds only produced this one brilliant book, what a shame.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Thanks for the reminder, I was vaguely aware of it but had forgotten about it . :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Been looking at that with a mind to purchase - 1951 version. Prices run from £250! Down to about £30.

Please let me know where I can find a "cheap" original! :surrender:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Fredline, Bernard Venables almost wrote 'Freshwater Fishing ' and 'A Fisherman's Testament ' ; both excellent reads. And he also probably wrote other books that I am not aware of. I take it then that this is the only book Jack Hargreaves wrote, so that is a shame.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Jack wrote at least two other books later in life, The old country and Out of town. I would love to get that Fishing for a year book but the price is beyond me for now.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I know independantly they both wrote more books. What I should have said was they produced only 1 as a pair.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Yes, it's a real shame that the pair onl wrote the one!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Olly wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 pm Been looking at that with a mind to purchase - 1951 version. Prices run from £250! Down to about £30.

Please let me know where I can find a "cheap" original! :surrender:
Cheapest original I've found is going for £100.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Plenty of Wilson and Bailey books at the boot fairs and even the later Jack ones turn up regularly, one day I shall find a Fishing for a year.... signed would be a bonus.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”