Maggot Bags

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Maggot Bags

Post by Bobthefloat »

They look great

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

I have used maggot bags for years, ever since I lived in Yorkshire.

I bought some replacements about three years ago from Eric's Tackle in Leeds. Sorry I don't have the address, but think it is in the Seacroft area of Leeds. I found it on the Internet. However, the new ones were rather big and a gawdy purple colour.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Old Man River wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:32 pm Hi Mark, I used to have a bait apron but daft as I am , I used to sit down when wearing it occasionally, the apron would lie on my lap and the maggots would wriggle out all over the place. My maggot bags just hang to one side , the wriggly critters never manage to ascend the creases and stay in the bottom.

OMR
I had that very problem when I first got my bait apron. My late Mum, a keen angler herself, came up with the idea of cutting the belt off and turning that into 4 belt loops sewn onto the top edge of the apron. I then got an over large army style webbing belt to fit through the belt loops. When I sit down I just slide the apron round to my side, or slip it off and put it over my shoulder. Works like a dream.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I find that the old bank coin bags, with a length of stout tape attached to them, serve splendidly as maggot bags.

As well as being a memento of times long past.
I inherited a few printed with the Yorkshire Penny Bank name, and used them for maggot bags.
Perhaps I should have preserved them as museum pieces?
Nah! :Chuckle:

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I was in "Woodys" tackle shop in Hereford last week, and bought a pint of Maggots, I handed over a maggot bag to put yhem in, and whilst talking the maggot Bag came into the conversation, apparently , or so the chap in the shop said Ivan Marks was the "inventor " of the maggot bag, and he tied them up and hung them out of the car window when driving to matches, this was to keep the maggots cool .

TBH its a good story, and I cant fault it, except to say I thought maggot bags may predate Ivan Marks.

Does anybody know when they were first used ? I remember using them when I was about 14 years old, so that would be back in

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I think they are deffinetly older than that.I know my uncle used them as a lad and his was born in 1930.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Old Man River wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:09 pm I was in "Woodys" tackle shop in Hereford last week, and bought a pint of Maggots, I handed over a maggot bag to put yhem in, and whilst talking the maggot Bag came into the conversation, apparently , or so the chap in the shop said Ivan Marks was the "inventor " of the maggot bag, and he tied them up and hung them out of the car window when driving to matches, this was to keep the maggots cool .

TBH its a good story, and I cant fault it, except to say I thought maggot bags may predate Ivan Marks.

Does anybody know when they were first used ? I remember using them when I was about 14 years old, so that would be back in

OMR
When I speak to young Rossi tomorrow I'll try to remember to ask him about this.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

DaceAce wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:20 pm
Old Man River wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:09 pm I was in "Woodys" tackle shop in Hereford last week, and bought a pint of Maggots, I handed over a maggot bag to put yhem in, and whilst talking the maggot Bag came into the conversation, apparently , or so the chap in the shop said Ivan Marks was the "inventor " of the maggot bag, and he tied them up and hung them out of the car window when driving to matches, this was to keep the maggots cool .

OMR

When I speak to young Rossi tomorrow I'll try to remember to ask him about this.

It was a middle aged chap with a beard that served me, he was whipping an intermediate ring in a rod tip when I went in.. Nice chap, wears glasses if I remember correctly .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Silexman
Ruffe

Post by Silexman »

Maggot bags were an essential bit of kit when I was brought up on the upper Swale many decades ago. My mother used to make them for me out of trouser legs - perfect.
Went back to the Swale a couple of years ago complete with maggot bag. The river is a shadow of what it was - one small chub for a whole day's wading.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”