The famous lift method - Size of float and shot

This forum is for discussing the Lift Method.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: The famous lift method - Size of float and shot

Post by Reedling »

Lovely images AC and they are almost identical to those that are in the book All about floats, fishing gazette and with a date of 1904. Funnily enough at the end of the book there is talk of cupping, moulding a ball of ground bait around the hook this was talked about in another post recently.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Firebird wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:34 pm No float arrangement could have the line at such an angle unless it were a heavy weight on the bottom. A BB or even AAA would drag. You could probably do something like that with a 1/2oz lead. All the 'lift method' boils down to is one big shot close to the hook, if that constitutes a method.
The 'lift method' is for still water, Sir ... and depends on really accurate plumbing of the depth. The weight of the shot is affected by the weight of the bait you select.

I was fishing a similar 'rig' with a delicate float, like the 6 inch quill in the photo below, cocked by 2 size 4 shot ... one just below the float, the other about an inch from a size 16 hook with a medium dendrobena ...which held bottom on a still lake one afternoon 2 years ago. Fishing perhaps three feet from my rod tip, targeting crucian ... I caught my pb 28lb 13oz carp.

For me ... the 'lift method' is the sum of delicacy, and balancing every element of tackle to the quarry, the water, and the conditions.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Return to “Lift Method”