Another Very cheap Richard Walker style Net !

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Delaminated
Bleak

Re: Another Very cheap Richard Walker style Net !

Post by Delaminated »

What a super looking net, understated yet elegant , time and a tenner well spent,

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Old Man River wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:37 pm Hello everybody... I have been exploring the site, and a couple of weeks ago saw the posts re Richard Walker style landing nets. It made me think that seeing as I have every day free and a small workshop to play in, perhaps I could have a go at making one.

I should add that this is a very first attempt, and the only tools used are.

Hand Jack plane.
Chisels.
Dewalt Battery drill / several misc drill bits.
Old Carving Knife.
Hammer.
Hacksaw.
Tenon Saw
Tin Snips.
G.Cramps.
Small Hobby Bandsaw.
A very old tap and die set, plus a borrowed 6m Hand tap.
A couple of Files .
Sandpaper/wire wool

The total cost of this whole Net pole and Net frame as seen in the below photos ,so far comes out at a staggering £9.00 for raw materials, these being two bamboo poles, a stainless Knob for the bottom of the Landing net pole, and 2 x 6m Dome head set screws.
All the other bits came from articles l have found in my workshop.
The Brass straps for the hinges and net top string holders are actually made from an old Brass inner letter box cover, the American Oak spreader etc is made from a spare Oak kitchen door unit, left over after a new kitchen was fitted.The stainless plates that form the
Sides of arm hinges are from a single stainless steel plate that I was given some years ago to make a few lures from.
I already had the Yacht varnish, epoxy resin, and 3/8 bsf Studding from a tripod I made some years ago.I have a lot of whipping thread from my rod building hobby, so that was no,problem.
The 3/8 bsf brass female thread for the top of the pole was from the top of an old bent alloy bank stick which had been thrown in a corner for a few years.

I have shamelessly "stolen" ideas from several different net models from this website, and the result I think is OK for a first attempt.
I now need to find a reasonably priced net to fit to the frame, one that looks ok, preferably a nice green one .The net arms are 32 inches long , so if anybody has any suggestions please let me know.

I have a few small things to do to the frame, it needs a few intermediate whippings, just belt and braces really as the arms are laminated from two pieces of split and planed bamboo, I may put a couple of extra brass rivets through the brass hinges,and add some whipping, a few more coats of varnish, and the top net string that runs between the arms,that apart, its
finished.

I dont think it is up to the standards of some of the nets shown on the forum, but my intention was to keep costs down to a bare minimum, and for £9.00 so far I am quite happy. The net arms will support a tested weight of 30lbs plus, I am amazed at the strength of the laminated cane, I am already thunking of a Mk 2 version, with a much adapted spreader, I have no access to any workshop machinery apart from that noted above, so it will be another experiment.

OMR
David, just came across this post, the net looks great - it would be great to see it next time your passing :Chuckle:
PP
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Its gone Peter, long ago,somebody from "the south " purchased it not long after I made it.There are some more pictures elsewhere on here, not sure where though.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Old Man River wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:27 pm Its gone Peter, long ago,somebody from "the south " purchased it not long after I made it.There are some more pictures elsewhere on here, not sure where though.

OMR
Never mind David, I take it a MKII never materialised either?
PP
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Not Yet Peter... I have a lot of " projects " on, seems retirement makes work for idle hands 😋

David

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:01 am Not Yet Peter... I have a lot of " projects " on, seems retirement makes work for idle hands 😋

David

Funny but I was only thinking yesterday - how on earth did I manage to get anything done when I worked full time. There are just not enough hours in the day.
Maybe the Walker net will arrive in another project phase or maybe I need to enquire as to whether you would make one for me.
:Scared:
PP

Heraclitus

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I know exactly what you mean Peter ,I just seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel,then somebody comes along and tells me its a flickering candle .
Not home from our hols for more than a half hour when I had a message from the "Dragon in Law" I now have a new door to hang and an electric hearth fire to sort out.
Dont people realise that bodging and fettling vintage tackle comes first ?

I have not forgotten your MkIV, Carpet tube still to be found .

David

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”