Hardy Altex Spare Part Wanted _ Now Sorted

The Hardy Reels forum.
Stour Otter
Grayling

Hardy Altex Spare Part Wanted _ Now Sorted

Post by Stour Otter »

On closer inspection of the annoying clunk from my Hardy Altex No. II, it soon became obvious that my *Steady Block Pt. No. 503L is badly worn on one side. This part keeps the Spindle in the correct position, with the aid of the Roller at the rear of the spindle. If any members would like to put one my way, or know of other contact available for this part, I would be very my appreciated. Costs and postage can be finalized through PayPal.

Thank you gentlemen.

Stour Otter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stour Otter on Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Hardy Altex Spare Part Wanted

Post by Watermole+ »

I don’t see part no.503L on the schematic page..

To be honest, I think you will be lucky to find a new one now, but it ought to be possible to make one, if you are prepared to loan the original as a pattern to work from..

Send a PM if you get stuck..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Phone Gary Mills he should be able to make one,if I was still at work I would make one free of charge.Reelmaker

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Thank you gentlemen, the part is starred (32).
Brass Steady block sliding slot with screw holes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stour Otter on Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have an idea that the 'steady block' was introduced and also retro-fitted at service when the reels began to develop a lot of slop up at the rotor head. You can tell if a reel has one by the two screws(33) in a horizontal line on the left hand side of the body. A lot of reels don't have them, ... hence my thoughts on retro-fitting.
A further modification, to alleviate the same problem further, was a screw from the right hand side of the reel, with a ball end, that bore on the side of the 'rocking link'(34) or connecting rod. These seem to be quite rare!

I think that the wear in the groove along the steady block(32) will be matched, to some degree at least, by commensurate wear in the roller ( 29) on the spindle (30) and that the spindle end will show some wear too. Only by replacing all three will all slop be removed...though a screw from the right might stop any further wear occurring .... possibly?

I note that in the drawing above, the clutch spring is not a double helix, but a simple lock washer. This means I was surely wrong when I once asserted that these locking washers were just a broken double helix spring with the broken bit chucked away....sorry for my error, but they do have a peculiar end on them that seemed like a fracture mark.

Here is a reel with the screw from the right that bears on the rocking link, the screwhead can be seen at 9pm to the inspection hatch:

The same reel showing the two screws for the steady block:

The clutch spring arrangement with a far superior double helix spring:

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

I would like to say a big thankyou to Chavender. The Steady Block of which I have been chasing to replace a worn part in one of my Hardy Altex No.2's, was donated to me by this very kind gentleman. Long live the forum.

Stour Otter

Return to “Hardy Reels”