Restoration.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Keston
Tench

Re: Restoration.

Post by Keston »

Amazing, thank you for sharing the restoration .

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Wonderful news! Fifty very happy carp will soon be swimming in a rejuvenated environment. If they could talk I’m sure they would thank you :fish:

Any plans for new willows in Walker’s pitch?
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Great work Mark, thank you. As to how long it will take to refill, when we lowered the level by some seven feet to repair the dam we were surprised how quickly it returned to its normal level. Once we stopped the syphons, about two weeks.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Snape wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:11 pm Well done, Skeff. :Hat:
How long do you think it'll take to refill?
Three weeks or so Nigel? Those springs are powerful!

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

JPC wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:43 am Great work Mark, thank you. As to how long it will take to refill, when we lowered the level by some seven feet to repair the dam we were surprised how quickly it returned to its normal level. Once we stopped the syphons, about two weeks.
Thanks John! Just replied to the same question above. About three weeks or so i imagine? We had a three inch syphon running continually that just about kept pace with the water running into the lake from the springs. The other good news from this is that the lake is in no way dependent on the seasonal stream, so that means it can be isolated from it which will help prevent future agricultural run-off and siltation.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Liphook wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:18 pm Yes good work all :Hat: I know very little about Redmire apart from legend and what I've read and seen on PFA etc. Any water created by forming a dam has a limited lifespan before intervention is required. What plans do you have during the refill period? When would you be looking to restock? One thing I have experienced is the reliance fish can have on anglers baits until such time as the natural larder has chance to recolonise/recover.
The way we carried out the work left large areas of surface silt and weed untouched, so the natural larder will be unaffected. We dug a very deep channel along one side of the pool (25 feet) and then slumped the remaining silt into it with jetted water aimed at the bottom of the remaining silt, so the surface layers across much of the pool remained intact with the weed and food supply untouched. we also spread silt across the areas where we excavated down to the base sand layers in the shallows. Huge numbers of swan mussels and other invertebrates will be available after the refill....

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Skeff thank you for your detailed reply :Thumb:

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Very well done Skeff :Hat: .

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Well done to all involved :Hat:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

How many gudgeon are going back Mark? Forgive me if the question has been answered before. Great work!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Redmire Pool”