Perch on sweetcorn

This forum is for discussing perch.
MGs
Pike

Re: Perch on sweetcorn

Post by MGs »

Santiago wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 pm The baits you think are static on the bottom may well be moving due to water being pushed and swirled around them by the fins of fish like roach and bream. The perch sees a flash of yellow and white and grabs it. Without a camera down there filming the perch eating the corn it's pure speculation as to just how static the baits like corn and bread are. I think it's more likely that they move quite a lot when other fish are feeding right next to the hook bait.
I would normally have agreed. However, yesterday I was fishing with a pole :Scared: (black stuff) and a 2 no8 float which disappeared at the slightest movement, it didn't even bob or tremble until it went under. There were plenty of occasions during the session where it would have been reasonable to suspect a moving bait due to fish, where the float was moving.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Santiago wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 pm The baits you think are static on the bottom may well be moving due to water being pushed and swirled around them by the fins of fish like roach and bream. The perch sees a flash of yellow and white and grabs it. Without a camera down there filming the perch eating the corn it's pure speculation as to just how static the baits like corn and bread are. I think it's more likely that they move quite a lot when other fish are feeding right next to the hook bait.
Thanks for this. That’s the first theory I’ve heard that sounds plausible.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I have never caught a solitary Perch on corn but unbelievably 2 - first take reeling in - a little whipper snapper - 2nd take from Sir Perchie senior.
I would imagine a pretty rare occurrence?
PP
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

I've never taken a perch on sweetcorn, possibly because it's not one of my 'much used baits' on the rivers these days. However, I've taken many perch on moving baits and often take two or three during a flake trotting session for roach..
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I think perch are a bit more omnivorous than our common belief. They recognise food in forms other than just things that move through taste/smell and eat all manner of relatively inert items. Apart from static sweetcorn I've had loads on casters.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Caught a quick glimpse on an edition of Carp Crew on Quest this morning. Underwater footage of stalking carp in the margins. One shot showed some small perch, one of which seemed to be picking items off the bottom. So the omnivorous option looks feasible.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”