Early post ww2 Rapidex , Floatcraft & Flick- em study

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Early post ww2 Rapidex , Floatcraft & Flick- em study

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Keston wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:48 pm Spindle tops , all "Pre LTD "

Just realised that flat top shaped spindle was used on the Allcocks Record Breaker reels and these were still in use when Shakespeare took over. Stock parts being used up maybe and the type used could be another way to spot later versions..

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:29 pm
Keston wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:48 pm Spindle tops , all "Pre LTD "

Just realised that flat top shaped spindle was used on the Allcocks Record Breaker reels and these were still in use when Shakespeare took over. Stock parts being used up maybe and the type used could be another way to spot later versions..

Wal.
Very interesting Wal .
There was a rapid change in these "Rapidex Spindles " I can't see many being left over?
The record breakers were much later than the change to "pointy " spindles " on the Rapidex
I would love to see some spindle images , it would be amazing if they reused and old design that fitted with the record breakers flatter boss ?
Last edited by Keston on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Does anyone have one of the Very early spindles design that is not on a reel with round handles?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Heres one snatched from the web, it looks very similar but the spindle looks larger diameter so maybe it's actually a Beaudex or Pridex spindle they used.

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:46 pm Heres one snatched from the web, it looks very similar but the spindle looks larger diameter so maybe it's actually a Beaudex or Pridex spindle they used.

Wal.
Maybe we care seeing something related to Ducketts brothers suggestion on milling cheaply ?
The record breaker being a cheaper reel having simpler and more cost efficient parts ?
Last edited by Keston on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am Hi John, here's a few pics of an early Rapidex which may be useful for your study. I found it on ebay a couple of weeks back. It had a broken centre cap but I managed to find an identical one to replace it.
I have taken a shot of the spindle end and there is a very slight chamfer to it but it's not enough to easily press the spool onto. I think this could be the reason we see many with the broken centre caps. It's always better to open the release latch when replacing the spool just in case the cap breaks, after all, they are getting on a bit and it isn't the strongest material.
As you can see from the pics, the rivet staking holes are round, rounded Allcocks type winding handles, no web strengthening and the wrinkle finish paint. It spins beautifully by the way and has no noticeable spindle wear.

Wal.
Hi Wal
I've just come back to this one as It helps with a timeline that I didn't spot before .
Very very early reel with rounded handles but your A/R clip is on the bottom.
This shows the clip was relocated before the handles changed . Something I couldn't tell before . :Hat:
Last edited by Keston on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

One thing that has always bugged me about the Rapidex is why on earth they moved from a round hole in the centre of the brass counterweight to a square one. Seems counterintuitive to my poor brain.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Duckett wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:09 pm One thing that has always bugged me about the Rapidex is why on earth they moved from a round hole in the centre of the brass counterweight to a square one. Seems counterintuitive to my poor brain.
Hi Phil, I think it's just the shape of the spike that the weight was placed on while the rivet head was set. Probably a press similar to a drill press.

Wal.
Last edited by Wallys-Cast on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A couple of other small differences between my early and later Rapidex. The spring pivot retaining screw has a smaller diameter head, 3/16" diameter compared to 1/4" diameter on the later version.
Also the foot is 2 3/4" long on the early version and 2 1/2" long on the later smooth faced version. they finally ended up at 2 5/16" long and had rounded ends on the last versions (bobble finish reels). Small differences but may help in dating some changes.

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:46 pm A couple of other small differences between my early and later Rapidex. The spring pivot retaining screw has a smaller diameter head, 3/16" diameter compared to 1/4" diameter on the later version.
Also the foot is 2 3/4" long on the early version and 2 1/2" long on the later smooth faced version. they finally ended up at 2 5/16" long and had rounded ends on the last versions (bobble finish reels). Small differences but may help in dating some changes.

Wal.
Hi Wal
That pivot screw actually started off big changed to a smaller one and then back to a bigger one . Much as the ratchet lever retaining clip started of off on top then went underneath and back on top again .
The early experimentation and development seemed to go quickly .

The foot on the pre war was a very similar size to the early post war .
I will try and pop jobs preliminary timeline later that hopefully we can all contribute to and add to .

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”