Early post ww2 Rapidex , Floatcraft & Flick- em study

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Early post ww2 Rapidex , Floatcraft & Flick- em study

Post by Duckett »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:29 pm
Duckett wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:09 pm One thing that has always bugged me about the Rapidex is why on earth they moved from a round hole in the centre of the brass counterweight to a square one. Seems counterintuitive to my poor brain.
Hi Simon, I think it's just the shape of the spike that the weight was placed on while the rivet head was set. Probably a press similar to a drill press.

Wal.
Cheers Wal!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm starting to wonder if JW Young did a Grice and Young and just used whatever was handy in the parts bins....?

Incidentally chaps, when you 'quote' another members post without deleting the image addresses ( for that's what they are) you use up this site's internet bandwidth hugely. This can raise the cost to the site owner enormously.

You see, those image addresses take a portion of the page to another place on the web and the images therein use colossal amounts of data. Because Mark has allowed quite large image files on here repeating them when you 'quote' another post goes straight to his pocket. You can avoid this by left clicking and dragging across thus highlighting the addresses and then right clicking and deleting them before you post.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I'm sure you are right Nobby and its parts bin thing , I'm having fun looking at a possible timeline though so will keep looking until I know better .

"Immediately after the war the Ambidex reel was developed and proved to be an enormous success. Other models produced alongside were the Gildex, Rapidex, Trudex, Windex, Seldex and Landex."

The above quite is from the J.W.Young site ( I think it ok to post here under fair use ? ) I'm not entirely sure this means the Rapidex was itself produced immediately after the war ? Much of the information around the internet puts post war Rapidex production in 1946 and we have actually seen a reel dated 1947 .
For the study we look at "pre Ltd " reels , the ones that do not have Ltd on the badge. We know J.W.Youngs became Ltd in late 1947 but there is no understanding of when it appeared on badges .

The core study group is 15 "pre Ltd" reels and the wider study group is 33 at the moment and rising . That said 10 of the wider study group do not have verifiable spindle types. The group includes 5 round handle Centrepins.

The earliest reel In my opinion so far has round handles. A lightly chamfered spindle, the ratchet washer or clip is above the dog and it carries a big head on the spring retaining screw.
From there Changes in order ( so far )

Flatter sided spindle head

Ratchet washer moves below dog

Handles become shaped

Head on the spring screw shrinks

Pawl arm now has a "bobble" around the rivet .

Spindle head changes to a more chamfered design

Reinforcing appears inside the spool.

Smaller foot

New spindle head design ( 50% chamfer unconfirmed at this time )

New spindle head designs to the modern pointy type
with the change to the New centre boss .

Ratchet washer returns above Dog

Balance hole no longer look round.

Head on the spring screw big again ( unconfirmed timeline .

Just observations chaps , I'm happy to be shot down and will do so myself if things change as the pool of reels growns.

I'm going to add the core sample group.
7 early Rapidex including 3 round handle.
3 later but still pre Ltd rapidex
3 early Allcocks Flick- em perfection
2 early Milwards Floatcraft .

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

What a lovely collection.
I like the early young's reels, nice reels to use, and cheaper than Aerials, although I have a liking for those too, when I can afford it, which isn't often.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for the picture tip Nobby. I never realised that. Will give it a go next time I want to quote a comment with images.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Crucian wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:45 pm What a lovely collection.
I like the early young's reels, nice reels to use, and cheaper than Aerials, although I have a liking for those too, when I can afford it, which isn't often.
Thanks Crucian .
I too would love an Aerial collection . I have one battered older Aerial and it sits on the table waiting for me to pay it some attention .

I habe a strange affinity to the early post war Youngs reels . Most in the image are good but you might spot a huge aftermarket/makeshift foot on one. A reel intended originally for spares .

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Another round handle Rapidex has surfaced.
Does anyone know of other J.W.Youngs built reels that might be sporting the same handles?
Allcocks maybe ? Pre or early post WW2 ?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Keston wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:54 pm Another round handle Rapidex has surfaced.
Does anyone know of other J.W.Youngs built reels that might be sporting the same handles?
Not seen one like that before but wish I had. No matter how much I love my Rapidex and Trudex, I do not like the waisted handles. I wonder if I am alone in that?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Duckett wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:31 pm
Keston wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:54 pm Another round handle Rapidex has surfaced.
Not seen one like that before but wish I had. No matter how much I love my Rapidex and Trudex, I do not like the waisted handles. I wonder if I am alone in that?
I have 4 rounded handle Rapidex now ., they are about and there are some Allcocks Flick ems on the forum with these handles.
There is one on a dealers website that looks like round handles but it's not cheap and oddly has the later high boss and pointy spindle.

I think the early reels look much nicer with the round handles.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Keston wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 pm
Duckett wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:31 pm
I have 4 rounded handle Rapidex now ., they are about and there are some Allcocks Flick ems on the forum with these handles.
There is one on a dealers website that looks like round handles but it's not cheap and oddly has the later high boss and pointy spindle.

I think the early reels look much nicer with the round handles.
I see what you mean. That one is a bit of a mixed bag. If it is as original, it eaither adds to Nobby’s suggestion of them doing a “Grice and Young” (though my impression is that this was a later development as I’ve not seen it in early G&R pins) or help your dating exercise.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”