Shotgun bobbins!

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Fish
Bleak

Shotgun bobbins!

Post by Fish »

As its shooting season here at the moment by boys are out beating most days and are bringing home lots pheasants and partridge and this week a feed sack full of spent shotgun shells,there are so many things to do with them fro christmas decor to whistles,however two of these were destined to be strike bobbins,basically i drilled the percussion cap out fitted a piece of wood inside the shell,drilled the top out and glued a hair pin in place,the brass end i screwed an eyed screw into the percussion cap hole and attached a brass bath plug chain.
It works a treat showing bites and i landed a fair few fish today using it in conjunction with a small arseley bomb and worm.

so I have shown you mine lets see your strike bobbins!
"Go fishing in the morning, work in a factory in the afternoon."
Karl Marx.

Paul D

Re: Shotgun bobbins!

Post by Paul D »

Nice job Fish! I tend to use a good traditional bottle top ( quite hard to find these days).

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Shotgun Cartridges make very good feeders too !

Does anybody still use monkey climbers, I use one quite regularly, it has an adjustable weight so you can alter it to the conditions.They come up occasionally on car boot sales , but I found mine years ago in a farm pond when it was very low. Maybe a project there for Mr Fish to " whittle" away an hour or so making one.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Fish
Bleak

Post by Fish »

Old Man River wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:33 pm Shotgun Cartridges make very good feeders too !

Does anybody still use monkey climbers, I use one quite regularly, it has an adjustable weight so you can alter it to the conditions.They come up occasionally on car boot sales , but I found mine years ago in a farm pond when it was very low. Maybe a project there for Mr Fish to " whittle" away an hour or so making one.

OMR
wasnt that a stick with a bobbin that slid up and down?
Karl Marx.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Monkey climber - came from the item below!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=monke ... 5zOlG0iQCM:

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Fish wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 pm
Old Man River wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:33 pm Shotgun Cartridges make very good feeders too !

OMR
wasnt that a stick with a bobbin that slid up and down?

Here you go Mr Fish... sorry about the picture quality, but its easy to see how they work, mine slides on a bit of red painted garden cane so I can see it against reeds etc..

ImageImage

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I'm just in the process of making some shotgun cartridge bobbins! I am going to just use the brass bit but add some balsa dowel where the plastic part is.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Fish
Bleak

Post by Fish »

oh i see ,cool
Karl Marx.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”