Pezon et Michel Luxor Luxe dating

The Other Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Pezon et Michel Luxor Luxe dating

Post by Duckett »

Over the holiday period I managed to pick up one of these from Fleabay for £50. It’s in almost perfect condition, runs very smoothly and has the wonderful advantage of the bail being both manual and automatic - wonderful because I’ve been looking for a small fixed spool I could load with braid for lure fishing with a cane rod.

I wonder if anyone has any idea of when it might have been made?

Many thanks :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: Pezon et Michel Luxor Luxe dating

Post by Luga00 »

Wow what a superb example. I have a penchant for the P. et M. Luxor's myself as i think they are lovely designs.

Some years back when I was interested in a mint condition reel for myself, I found a very short potted history of the Luxor reels including dates. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it again.
Russ

[edit] et voila!

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk ... ell-luxor/

Take a look at the third post down in the thread.
I think this was it but can't vouch for the information as I didn't research it further.
Last edited by Luga00 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Luga00 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 pm Wow what a superb example. I have a penchant for the P. et M. Luxor's myself as i think they are lovely designs.

Some years back when I was interested in a mint condition reel for myself, I found a very short potted history of the Luxor reels including dates. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it again.
Russ
Wow indeed Russ. I'm sceptical about descriptions, even with photographs, but this was spot on. I'm not convinced it's ever been used! It even has the box!

Many thanks for the offer to look. Much appreciated.

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The first appearance I can find is in a 1957 edition of the Alex Martin catalogue.

Wal.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I've edited my original reply above to include the link I was talking about.
r

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Nice example there! According to the link above the example I have is this one:
LUXOR LUXE 1949 inscription "LUXOR PEZON ET MICHELL LICENSE P. MAUBORGNE MADE IN FRANCE BREVETE S.D.G.D." no anti-reverse
but my example has the anti-reverse button.
Your example appears to be newer though as the bail arm on yours doesn't have the "bridge" to hold the carbide line roller like on Mitchell 300's. Your line roller has a hole and a screw through it so I'd guess it must be somewhen 1950+
This one maybe?
LUXOR MPU 1957 manual p/u with line roller, marked "1G"

Another thing I like is their anti-reverse. If your drag knob on the spool is overtightened, the rotor will rotate backwards anyways under a strong pull. Some sort of spring mechanism around the axle instead of a pin that grabs into a gear.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Many thanks Russ, Wal and Christopher.

Looks like it’s an A model, so 1955-63. When I have some better light tomorrow I’ll try an post a close up of the bail roller area and the wording on the front plate.

I wonder if this was the first reel to have chenille like material around the spool between it and the skirt. One of the things that makes me think this has seen little or no use is that it’s still bright red and intact!

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:06 pm The first appearance I can find is in a 1957 edition of the Alex Martin catalogue.

Wal.
Now that's interesting (and slightly off-topic!) Take a look at the Swiss-made Monti Super below the Luxor. Did Harrington buy the design for le Omnia do you think? Rather explains the curiously French name.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Nothing to say about your post Sean, but I instead was wondering... I was wondering why the reel to the same named rod appeared so much later? I was once told the Luxor was a rod/reel combination. I do own a Luxor Classic 500 light spinning rod from 1939.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17300&hilit=luxor+500

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Ah, Sorry same rod but wrong thread. That's the one:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16636&hilit=luxor+500
On page two you can see it coupled with my version of the Luxor reel.

Return to “Other Reels”