Swimversa/Craftversa

The Milwards Rods forum.
Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Swimversa/Craftversa

Post by Bumble »

CraigM not the one the I mentioned is still up for sale ends today.
Enjoy your new rod.
Bumble

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Thanks Bumble.

I see what you mean.

The whole handle seems non-original spec. Not just the reel seat but the rubber button, & the handle diameter doesn't seem to taper.

Still, I'm an owner but not an expert!

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Thanks Bumble.

I see what you mean.

The whole handle seems non-original spec. Not just the reel seat but the rubber button, & the handle diameter doesn't seem to taper.

Still, I'm an owner but not an expert!

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

....& now I'm seeing double :Chuckle: .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, the handle has been re-corked to lose the reverse taper...I'd imagine that might stop it bending as it was designed to do to some extent at least.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

The Swimversa has now had it's first run out [with me] on the Itchen, matched with maggot's Dad's Match aerial.

It's previous owner sent me a nice history - he'd had it from his late father who probably bought it new.

A 1lb 10oz brownie hooked close to a lot of snags & in fast water was a great "work out" for me & the rod.

Quite a "tippy" action with a very firm mid section [mine is whole cane/ whole cane] - we all survived - me, the rod, the trout.

Regards,
Craig.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Hi, yes another Swimversa user here. Mine has a lot of pictures posted here of the restoration including the correct red and black jasper i managed to get to do the job. I don't use it as much as i should but having gathered quite a selection try to rotate the rods I use. The swimversa so far has had bream to 4lb and some good roach and perch but nothing to really tax it and it's a superb rod for catching smaller species with in quick succession, as a rod designed for match fishing should be. I bought a Milwards swimaster to use with it trotting for roach but so far have used it with a mitchell 330 which seems a good match, i may try a spedia on it next week on the river as it's turn is coming up again :Wink:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Yes, another Swimversa user here. again as many have said they vary greatly and can be as good as some can be bad. min, the second one i looked at being the first had the earlier whole cane splice mid section and the set was beyond repair, maybe changing it for a built cane piece would have been ok but being it also needed the cork replacing as well i walked away. The one i have had a slight set, more of a droop, which was corrected during my restoration of it, pictures are on here, and i have mainly used it for float fishing on the canal and a club pond for roach bream and perch, as well as trotting for dace and roach on the kentish stour. the casting action is crisp and easy to get good distances, the line pick up is excellent as the but and mid sections are stiffer leaving only the tip to take up any pull back. There are better light float rods around, My hardy Roach perfection and perfection roach rods being ones that come to mind first but the SV has the edge on speed fishing for smaller fish as it is a true 'match rod' of it's time.

The Craftversa, more an avon rod and as good an avon rod as there is from what i gather and although it won't be an original i would still like to get one one day, but for now i have a Peter Stone Ledgerstrike which fills that niche in my angling armoury :Wink:

pops, forgot i posted before Doh :Confused:

Roachtench
Ruffe

Post by Roachtench »

Answering CraigM: Only just coming to the party on this one but I have a brace of Swimversas, one an Angling Times prize rod for a rather large tench back in the day, around 1959 I think, plus an original Craftversa. For me the Swimversa is a fine tench rod, but not a rod for us }middle aged’ anglers to hold all day for trotting. On the other hand, the Craftversa is a fabulous all round rod, too light for large specimen fishing but a great trotting rod, light legering etc. From memory it was designed by Milwards chief product designer Terry Thomas for Grayling fishing. It is much lighter than the Swimversa and is nine inches shorter

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

I don't join in to many threads these days as you can never be sure where its going to end having said that I do feel qualified on this occasion as I have both an original Craftversa and the James version which is identical in the taper. I have seen and waggled many replicas but unless you strip down totally an original as James did the taper on offer will never be correct.
As for the Swimversa yet another unique taper it took me 3 years to find an original rod for my great friend Martin James.
All I can say is be careful both rods are subject to fake tapers do your homework and due dillange before committing to buy.
Bumble

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”