Restoration.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Skeff
Crucian Carp

Re: Restoration.

Post by Skeff »

A few shots from today. Lovely to see the pool full and these give a feel for the impact we have made by the work. Actually, the most important thing is probably the lack of impact and the fact that the banks have been relatively untouched. Obviously, apart from the restoration of the shallows, most of the changes are beneath the surface.... :Hat:
Image From the dam.
Image The Climbing island and Bramble island.
Image Wasp island, the dot island and the shallows.
Image Looking across the shallows from the pitch above Hilton's, towards Wasp island.
Image From above Hilton's looking towards the Willow Pitch , boathouse and dam.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Brilliant; absolutely delightful. I understand the point you make Skeff concerning the "swan like" transformation is mainly in areas not immediately visible but can nevertheless sense the re-generation from the photographs posted. I can already begin to see ghost like shapes in the Summer months ......... ah.... to cast a line into such waters .. I suspect I will not be able to fish it again but "never say never" ..... thank you and the team involved.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Fantastic result Skeff - an amazing restoration, the pool looks wonderful in the photos - especially so considering this is January. A hugely difficult project that has turned out perfect.

I was really pleased to see your comment that you have ‘confirmed some redmire myths and fables’ — the words ‘confirmed ‘and ‘some’ being significant, without, of course, divulging which, other than the the fact that Pitchfords Pit really is ‘bottomless’.
I know you cannot comment on anything to do with any discoveries of any uncaught, unknown or other mythical fish and their weights, but are you at liberty to confirm if all the largest fish- ie any over 30Lbs, assuming there were some, ( excluding any possible Gohost carp ) were returned to Redmire?
Also what will happen to any Redmire carp ( excluding ghosties) that were not included in the 50 returned to the pool?
One last question- were any eels found when the pool was drained- and were they returned ( along with the gudgeon)?

I fully understand if you are not able to divulge the answers to any of these questions, but as many others have said, thanks so much for achieving such a wonderful restoration.
Last edited by Julian on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

The best 50 quality fish were returned and they were all pure Leney's. The others were sold and removed from site. All gudgeon were removed and returned unharmed as were the eels. Interestingly, there weren't any huge eels (only up to about four pounds), which surprised me....

I think that's as far as I'll go if that's ok? I'll be joining in the phone wars this month and looking forward with a great deal of anticipation to a visit with a rod if I secure one!

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Skeff wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:12 pm The best 50 quality fish were returned and they were all pure Leney's. The others were sold and removed from site. All gudgeon were removed and returned unharmed as were the eels. Interestingly, there weren't any huge eels (only up to about four pounds), which surprised me....

I think that's as far as I'll go if that's ok? I'll be joining in the phone wars this month and looking forward with a great deal of anticipation to a visit with a rod if i secure one!
Thank you for answering my questions Skeff. Good to see there were some eels - 4lb is a good size- possibly any larger ones had died of old age. It will be very interesting to hear the first fishing reports this year.........

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

It's looking wonderful. Well done Skeff. :wave:
I'm sure I can just make out the outline of a huge linear in one of those photos! :Chuckle:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:32 pm It's looking wonderful. Well done Skeff. :wave:
I'm sure I can just make out the outline of a huge linear in one of those photos! :Chuckle:
Or indeed the outline of the Black Queen... :Hat:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Gary Bills wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:56 pm
Snape wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:32 pm It's looking wonderful. Well done Skeff. :wave:
No, its probably the King .......... :secret:

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Does look nice, a massive improvement, a difficult job well done.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Julian wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 pm
Gary Bills wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:56 pm
No, its probably the King .......... :secret:
Yes, Julian - and now a clear five footer! :Hat:

Return to “Redmire Pool”