Recently aquired books with Northern river interest

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Recently aquired books with Northern river interest

Post by Paul F »

The first is one to add to my JW Martin collection, I have all his titles, but I am always on the lookout for variations.
This one is a 2nd edtion 1924 "My fishing days and fishing ways", not rare, except this one has the original dust jacket (rare)
I made an offer to the ebay seller, and he made me a counter, which I was more than happy with :Thumb:

The next
"Angling: Illustrated book on bottom fishing by T Tyson dated 1888"
Thomas Tyson was a tackle dealer based in Renishaw, Chesterfield
Chapters include Sheffield anglers, Derbyshire Rother, the Trent, R.Dove, roach, bream and more
looks a very interesting little volume, try to find one from a dealer under £200, I found this on ebay, and the seller gave me a substantial discount off the BIN price :Hat:

Last but not Least
A Guide To Angling Resorts J. H. R. Bazley, dated 1909
This has not arrived yet, it is a GWR guide book, I have never seen this volume before, with pictorial boards.

Troydog
Tench

Re: Recently aquired books with Northern river interest

Post by Troydog »

Fabulous books. I scour the Hay on Wye second hand book shops but very rarely come across anything like this. I found Marvels of Fish Life by Francis Ward which is a bit of a gem, I got Roach Fishing by Faddist there too, some time ago.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I to have an interest in books which mention North England areas. I've posted this before it's all the J. H. R. Bazley publications also other books which I have are "Angling Experiences and Reminiscenses" by Richard Mason and "Fifty Years of Angling in Grimsby and District"

I was also very lucky to find this postcard of Hempholme Lock on my local River Hull, particularly when I found out who had sent it!

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Great stuff Phil!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Very interesting photograph of Hempholme Lock there, Phil! Any idea when it was taken, and when the buildings were removed?
The Hull is my local river too, and I've walked / fished most of its length from Hempholme up to North Frodingham.

I'm presuming that Hemphome Lock is the one named Struncheopn Hill Lock on many maps, close to Top Hill Low reservoirs, and at the other end of the straight cut from Bethels Bridge?

I came across this aerial video of that section of the Hull, and am staggered by the number of boats now moored near Bethels Bridge, all the way up past Scurf Dike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ZdvseKSsI

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Hi Banksy, I have a collection of postcards of River Hull, the Derwent and Hornsea Mere. Most are circa 1900 to 1920 so 100 years ago. The one shown does not have a clear postmark but has an Edward VII stamp so it is 1901 to 1910.

I have two more early postcards of Hempholme Weir/Struncheon Lock/Top Lock (same place) plus the photo below which I have not dated. I remember all the buildings in this shot and my brother-in-law who worked for a demolition company actually knocked down the chimney. A chap called George Sissons Lived in the cottage and I remember chatting to him in the sixties. I have a shot of Hempholme I took around 1980 and the cottage is still standing but it must have been knocked down in the eighties.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

ImageImage[/url]How’s this for a title?

“The Chronicle Illustrated Guide to Fish and Fishing in the Don Valley and the Isle of Axholme”

Author is Ernest Phillips, and my copy is a 2nd Edition published in 1921 (1st 1912). Phillips was the editor of The Doncaster Chronicle and wrote “Trout in Lakes and Reservoirs” and “The Golden Trout” amongst others.
Last edited by Walkerburt on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Watcher by the Bridge

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Walkerburt wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:06 pm How’s this for a title?

“The Chronicle Illustrated Guide to Fish and Fishing in the Don Valley and the Isle of Axholme”

Author is Ernest Phillips, and my copy is a 2nd Edition published in 1921 (1st 1912). Phillips was the editor of The Doncaster Chronicle and wrote “Trout in Lakes and Reservoirs” and “The Golden Trout” amongst others.
Very interesting! Thanks for that.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

No problem - if anyone could tell me how I upload images from my iPad to the forum, I’ll post it (and quite a few others)

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Sorted the image mystery - see above

Phil

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”