The River Waveney

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Silfield
Brown Trout

The River Waveney

Post by Silfield »

Does any of the learned collective fish the river Waveney around the Beccles, Bungay area. I had done about 25 years ago with varying degrees of success but thought it would be worth a revisit after a fairly recent paddle down the river in a canoe with the kids. Saw plenty of chub and roach, a couple of pike, kingfishers and an otter! Looks like there might be a bit of a crayfish problem as well so a bit of bacon on a string might be worth taking along!
Would be interested to hear from anyone that does fish it and any suitable places to wet a line.
Thanks.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: The River Waveney

Post by Tengisgol »

Good day sir. My main interests lay a little further north, up the Wensum valley.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Tengisgol wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:04 pm Good day sir. My main interests lay a little further north, up the Wensum valley.
Hello,
Yes mine too-well it would be if I had a little more time on my hands! I have been away from river fishing for a long time and am now in the process of trying to find suitable stretches of river that are open to day ticket fishing. Next time you are up this way would you give me a shout-It would be good to pop along for a chat and bring you a flask refill!
I fished with my 13 yo son on the Waveney recently, close to Geldeston Locks pub (worth a visit) and had some nice perch, a few roach and a couple of chub before retiring to the pub for a well received meal and a couple of pints of Woodfordes before the walk back to the Three Rivers Campsite, where we were camping. We lit the fire, watched the barn owl flying over and slept like logs.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Silfield wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:29 am
Tengisgol wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:04 pm Good day sir. My main interests lay a little further north, up the Wensum valley.
Hello,
Yes mine too-well it would be if I had a little more time on my hands! I have been away from river fishing for a long time and am now in the process of trying to find suitable stretches of river that are open to day ticket fishing. Next time you are up this way would you give me a shout-It would be good to pop along for a chat and bring you a flask refill!
I fished with my 13 yo son on the Waveney recently, close to Geldeston Locks pub (worth a visit) and had some nice perch, a few roach and a couple of chub before retiring to the pub for a well received meal and a couple of pints of Woodfordes before the walk back to the Three Rivers Campsite, where we were camping. We lit the fire, watched the barn owl flying over and slept like logs.

I help run a fishing association that has two stretches of the Wensum. I'll drop you a PM with the details. We do have quite a lengthy waiting list for each but you never know. My boys are 12 and 14, we like to camp too (and I enjoy a pint of Wherry also!).

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Silfield wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:42 pm Does any of the learned collective fish the river Waveney around the Beccles, Bungay area. I had done about 25 years ago with varying degrees of success but thought it would be worth a revisit after a fairly recent paddle down the river in a canoe with the kids. Saw plenty of chub and roach, a couple of pike, kingfishers and an otter! Looks like there might be a bit of a crayfish problem as well so a bit of bacon on a string might be worth taking along!
Would be interested to hear from anyone that does fish it and any suitable places to wet a line.
Thanks.
I used to live in Bungay and fished the Waveney in that area on a regular basis. You could fish the Bungay Cherry Tree club waters on a day ticket which gave access to Bungay Common and the meadow between the town bridge and the weir. I'm sure there were a few other stretches but they will be listed on the club's website. The upstream end of the common was good for chub but may have been decimated by otters as they were a frequent sight on that part of the Waveney. The stretch downstream of the town bridge was good during the winter for roach and pike. There were also a few good chub along there.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

A friend had two roach over the pound yesterday from the Waveney, best 1-10-00 which is a fantastic fish. Not sure where.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Tengisgol wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 pm A friend had two roach over the pound yesterday from the Waveney, best 1-10-00 which is a fantastic fish. Not sure where.
Those are great roach for the Waveney. He's a very lucky man as there don't seem to be many of that size in there nowadays.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I fished the upstream end of the Bungay Loop a couple of weeks before the weather descended on us (not as bad here as other parts of the country) and managed a few fish but I must admit that the presence of the Otters was a consistent annoyance as they continuously displayed that they were far more adept at fishing than myself!
A couple of little chub, a roach and a sneaky attack by a pike on a roach that was near to being netted were the results of a very enjoyable couple of hours by the bank. I think I need to walk the bank during the close season to try and re acquaint myself with the river.
Coral Maestro, I should imagine that where you are fishing now is quite different from Bungay? Years ago I fondly remember fishing the Lot, Dordogne and Loire when my family used to camp in France-happy days indeed.
Phil, I should imagine that your mate was well chuffed with a 1. 10 from the Waveney-well done that man.
Washington Irving

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Bungay Common used to known for specimen chub at one time with people travelling good distances to fish there. When I was living there the best sections were downstream of the common with fair numbers of 5lb+ chub to be caught.
During the late '80's before I moved to East Anglia I occasionally fished at Wainford Maltings just downstream of Bungay. During the winter the roach would move into the backwaters there in good numbers and if you hit it on the right day a good bag of sizeable fish could be caught. The best I had was 41lbs of roach to 01-11 on trotted maggots. Unfortunately, the area I fished has now silted up and has gone from 6ft to about 3ft deep and the bigger fish didn't seem to be there when I last tried.
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Silfield wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:04 am I fished the upstream end of the Bungay Loop a couple of weeks before the weather descended on us (not as bad here as other parts of the country) and managed a few fish but I must admit that the presence of the Otters was a consistent annoyance as they continuously displayed that they were far more adept at fishing than myself!
A couple of little chub, a roach and a sneaky attack by a pike on a roach that was near to being netted were the results of a very enjoyable couple of hours by the bank. I think I need to walk the bank during the close season to try and re acquaint myself with the river.
Coral Maestro, I should imagine that where you are fishing now is quite different from Bungay? Years ago I fondly remember fishing the Lot, Dordogne and Loire when my family used to camp in France-happy days indeed.
Phil, I should imagine that your mate was well chuffed with a 1. 10 from the Waveney-well done that man.
I used to walk the Common quite regularly and often saw otters. On one occasion I saw one with a carp that couldn't have been much short of double figures. I approached and then clapped my hands very loudly. The otter released it's grip in surprise and the carp took it's opportunity to escape - one lucky carp!
I fished a carp water in that area that had problems with otters and saw a 38lb mirror with otter damage - the pectoral fins were stripped of flesh and the underbelly of the fish had areas of skin missing - so as far as otters are concerned size of prey is not limiting. In spite of this, I still love to see them and they have as much right to be there as us and the fish.
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Other Rivers”