Hardy Altex No3 / LRH No2?

The Hardy Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Hardy Altex No3 / LRH No2?

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
Having purchased a lovely LRH No2 from Keston (thank you), I'm thinking to combine it with a contemporary UK fixed apool reel for margin carp work with 10 / 12lb mono (snaggy water / big fish on occasion). So, I was thinking, as I believe it may be a tad undergunned with an Altex No2 (or an Ambidex), of either a Intrepid Continental, a Delmatic, or an Altex No3. Suggestions and comment appreciated. I don't have an Altex No3, so will have to source one (so if anyone has a 'user' (I'm not interested in 'pretty') they are interested in parting with, please let me know), but do have good working Continentals and Delmatics. Although, the Hardy / Hardy combo does seem a bit exciting!
Thank you Cat 🐈

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Hardy Altex No3 / LRH No2?

Post by Nigel Rainton »

If it's just margin work an Altex No 2 should be OK.

Silexman
Ruffe

Post by Silexman »

Have you considered an Exalta? Lovely reel.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Altex No2 should be fine close in although it's not a great reel for casting any distance due to the shallow spool. The No3 is a bit of a beast and I don't like it. Alternatively the Mitchell 300 would be ideal.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

For Margin work I would go for a wide drum centrepin.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I’m with Shropshire lad on that - very exciting fishing to be had with that combo. Outside of the pin and as you have stated you would like a fixed spool - may I suggest an early Mitchell 300 - pre 300’s have half bails - a super reel for large fish and as robust as you like - with extremely reliable clutch/drag set ups. There is no coincidence the 300 was the reel of choice for so many big fish anglers for so long.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you Gentlemen for your replies,
I was thinking of a British combo (not in an over jingoistic way, rather just as an idea to play around with!). I have various Mitchells, Dams, Abus and Sup Matics (my favorite ever fixed spool), etc, but I think Beresford has thrown down the gauntlet of 'The Beast', so I'll keep an eye for one...I like a challenge! However, I think I'll put some nice supple line on the Continental and see how that goes...it was K P Morrits 'big fish' reel, and fits era wise with the rod. However, I also accept the pin challenge.
Thank you Cat 🐈

Return to “Hardy Reels”