Mitchell half bail-arm reel dating help

The Other Reels forum.
Kev D
Chub

Mitchell half bail-arm reel dating help

Post by Kev D »

Hello. I recently entered the dangerous seas of the Bay of Evil in a half hearted search for maybe a tatty :doh: ,hence usable,Ambidex for dark-side days.
I didn't get far before a Mitchell half-bail at a B.I.N of £34 inc p&p reared before me.....
It arrived yesterday ,complete with a spare spool in a tub. It works perfectly but was very dry inside and had a little mouse squeak so I stripped it and cleaned and greased and oiled it. It still squeaked so I repeated the stripdown process ,er, a 'couple' of times before realising that the handle knob was the culprit :roll:
Anyway despite having bought the reel for use I still decided to see if googling produced any guide to its age.
Whereapon I found myself in a Mitchell Minefield.
Can anyone on the forum help?
20190714_182713_resized.jpg
20190714_182713_resized.jpg
The handle is obviously a late one,the internals look late but the paint looks thin ,flakey and unprimed ,the spool is metal, the ratchet switch angled.There is no sign of a serial number ,except possibly a tiny 'V' that is only visible through an eyeglass on the foot. Though that may be a scratch.
Any ideas on age ,just out of interest,would be welcome. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Mitchell half bail-arm reel dating help

Post by Ljm183 »

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Thanks Ljm18. I think it is probably an early 3rd version from the lack of serial number and thin paint but that it has later internals and handle. I could wrong of course but the butchered screws indicate that it has been taken apart at some time for overhaul and might have been upgraded. As I said,when I google dating Mitchell reels,there seems to a minefield of differing variations an opinions. I also was at one point faced with an image of a scanily clad lady offering dating services. That's when I gave up!😮
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

The internal gears and handle seem ok for that reel ?
Unless I'm not seeing something in the image , does the black plastic handle have a smooth finish ?

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Yes,the knob is smooth . The handle shaft is shorter than my later Mitchell 300.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Ok ,😏now I am feeling a bit dippy for not realising there id a designated section for Mitchell half bails.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Kev D wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm Yes,the knob is smooth . The handle shaft is shorter than my later Mitchell 300.
:Cool: A nice honest early reel then by the look of it .

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Keston wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:47 pm
Kev D wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm Yes,the knob is smooth . The handle shaft is shorter than my later Mitchell 300.
Thank you for taking the time to look and reply. So am I right in thinking it to have been made in the late 40s /50s ?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Kev D wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:49 am
Keston wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:47 pm
Thank you for taking the time to look and reply. So am I right in thinking it to have been made in the late 40s /50s ?
Nobby knows far more than I do , but I think you are safe with early 50's.
The big problem is there are no definitive answers to dating . There are various schools of though on dating these Mitchell's but the details are often subjective .
One collector had a firm belief in one set of dates until he found more information that was shared and consequently change his views.
I did recently purchase a half bail that was bought for a gentleman fir his 21st birthday in 1948 and he kept it all his life . There was no evidence but the story rang true to me .
Best wishes

Return to “Other Reels”