Bacon

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Bacon

Post by MaggotDrowner »

This guy seems to have a few fish on bacon. Apparently it was used years ago more commonly. He's fishing it like a lure / jig though. Anyone else ever used it? I wonder if you'd catch just float fishing it.

"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Bacon

Post by Santiago »

Fished like a lure it looks like a worm. Enough said
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Bacon rind was a popular bait on the pier when we were kids, I seem to remember it being left to soak in sugar for a few days then used as a Mackerel bait.

As for the video. Fish care ? Landing net ? :Hide:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

My grandson caught loads of Shrimps using bacon as bait the other day, I can see no reason why it shouldn't catch especially on a commercial fishery. You could always take a stove along if it fails to catch have it for lunch yourself as no doubt you will have some bread for bait also. Looks like a win win situation to me.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

My Mum, who had a habit of putting almost anything on the hook if the fish weren't biting, caught using the fat from the ham in her sandwiches. I don't recall her using bacon but, as my old fella loved a cold bacon and toast sarnie, I wouldn't mind betting she tried cooked bacon. From what I saw, if she tried it, she'd catch something.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

If I am not catching my wife says to me let me hold it and then you will get a bite. She reckons its the pheromones, so I can see where you are coming from Duckett.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:42 am Bacon rind was a popular bait on the pier when we were kids, I seem to remember it being left to soak in sugar for a few days then used as a Mackerel bait.

As for the video. Fish care ? Landing net ? :Hide:
Sadly Wal, since lure fishing became trendy in the UK a few years ago, many of those who take it up seem to have learnt nothing about fish care. They seem to learn purely from YouTube and often from Americans who also display zero interest in fish care or, edit it out of their show-off videos!

The rapid growth of so-called "urban fishing" hasn't helped I think. My reading is that this started in the USA but really took off in France, as a way of getting city youngsters to do something interesting and legal. Experienced anglers did the teaching, then the tackle companies saw a profit and got into producing all sorts of eye candy tackle - much of it cheaper copies of Japanese light kit that had been around for years. Unfortunately, over here the learning has largely been via YouTube where fish care rarely gets mentioned. The C&RT have tried to address this but I would question the impact this has had.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and ... an-fishing

When I'm out walking the canals of London, I gently try to get the message over and everyone I have approached has been happy to watch and listen. The twit on this video is old enough to know better.
Last edited by Duckett on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Reedling wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 pm If I am not catching my wife says to me let me hold it and then you will get a bite. She reckons its the pheromones, so I can see where you are coming from Duckett.
I seem to recall reading that there is some serious scientific basis in the idea that female pheromones attract fish but I just think women can concentrate for longer and are happier to improvise. But I would, I'm a fishing mummies boy!!

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I can admit to using a small piece of rendered down lamb skin/fat from a chop (it was lunch and I was desperate) A couple of chub seemed to like it!
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Pork fat is used across the ""pond"" as a lure! Shaped as worms or fish or newts/frogs/salamanders. Even for sale as such - for pike & muskies + bass.

In the UK we use tinned meat - of all sorts, luncheon/bacon grill/spam. I know that float fished bits of steak catch chub, in fact only yesterday I put frankfurters - sausages - liver sausage in the freezer.

I also saw a small pack of pancetta - diced pork belly with garlic - on offer in the COOP for £2 - this is new to me for fishing but each piece would fit nicely on a 10 or 8 hook for chub/barbel - so now in the freezer.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”