Angling poetry and art

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Kev D
Chub

Re: Angling poetry and art

Post by Kev D »

I do recall being given a similar Fishing game by Subbuteo. My brother had loads of their little football figures complete with green cloth pitch and scale accessories to make quite realistic match scenarios.
The Subbuteo fishing game was very dissapointing in comparison . It was just a naff board game,played with cards. We wanted plastic fish!
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Cane wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:34 pm
... One of the boys is holding a basket and the other, what appears to be a box with a lid. By the way one of the anglers is holding his hand over the basket, you might think that the artist intends us to believe that it contains bread, but what is in the other container?
Worms.
As a farm lad in the 1830's, I made a little money on the side by digging worms out of the more mature muck heaps - and the worms were plentiful! -and selling them to gentlemen fishing the upper reaches of the River Hull for trout and grayling. The gentlemen, in hostelry lodgings in Driffield and Beverley, had no other means of acquiring their bait, so paid generously for those worms.

In fact, it was the 1960's, and the lower reaches of the River Hull, and the gentlemen were after flounders and eels. But the story is essentially the same.

And I recognise the posture of that little lad, with the predatory fishermen picking out the best of his offerings!

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Banksy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:40 pm
Cane wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:34 pm
... One of the boys is holding a basket and the other, what appears to be a box with a lid. By the way one of the anglers is holding his hand over the basket, you might think that the artist intends us to believe that it contains bread, but what is in the other container?
Worms.
As a farm lad in the 1830's, I made a little money on the side by digging worms out of the more mature muck heaps - and the worms were plentiful! -and selling them to gentlemen fishing the upper reaches of the River Hull for trout and grayling. The gentlemen, in hostelry lodgings in Driffield and Beverley, had no other means of acquiring their bait, so paid generously for those worms.

In fact, it was the 1960's, and the lower reaches of the River Hull, and the gentlemen were after flounders and eels. But the story is essentially the same.

And I recognise the posture of that little lad, with the predatory fishermen picking out the best of his offerings!
“The more things change, the more they are the same!”
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

This circa 1770 pen and water-colour picture was purchased by our town museum some years ago in the erroneous belief that it depicted the river Arun which flows next to the town. It was quickly pointed out by locals that it actually represents the sluice from a millpond on the other side of town.
20200124_190336.jpg
In fact it is still recognisable from these pictures that l took this very afternoon from the bridge ,which now only has a single span and carries a main road!
20200124_160652_resized.jpg
20200124_160732_resized.jpg
Fishing is not allowed in the pool but there is still a mile of free fishing in the stream below the bridge .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Cane
Grayling

Extreme fishing in The Great War

Post by Cane »

This print is from a book “ Fishing ways and wiles” by Major H.E.MORRITT.
He recounts the tale of taking the opportunity of a lull in the fighting to fly fish on the Ancre, whilst perched on a ridge between two bomb craters. He spotted a rise and cast to it, just as a howitzer, hidden under camouflage behind him, went off causing him to dive into the thick mud by the river. He noted subdued laughter coming from the gunners and chose to make a somewhat soggy, but dignified retreat to his digs to dry off.

I thought this was a nice sketch and an entertaining story, worth repeating.
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Extreme fishing in The Great War

Post by Bobthefloat »

Cane wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:37 am Image
This print is from a book “ Fishing ways and wiles” by Major H.E.MORRITT.
He recounts the tale of taking the opportunity of a lull in the fighting to fly fish on the Ancre, whilst perched on a ridge between two bomb craters. He spotted a rise and cast to it, just as a howitzer, hidden under camouflage behind him, went off causing him to dive into the thick mud by the river. He noted subdued laughter coming from the gunners and chose to make a somewhat soggy, but dignified retreat to his digs to dry off.

I thought this was a nice sketch and an entertaining story, worth repeating.
Great pic and story :Thumb:

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 am - oh to nip into the time capsule and have a dabble there
Oh, indeed, Dave, but I would imagine that two of those gentlemen were the beaus of the the two young ladies respectively.

Dom. :Wink: :Chuckle:

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I've recently read in Robert Gibbing's "Till I End My Song" (Not a fishing book, but definitely one for Thames fans) that George Morland was related to the brewing family of that ilk, and was the model for their "Drunken Artist" logo/emblem.
This thread has prompted me to look him up on Wikipedia, and a more intense, rollicking, talented, exploited and booze-addled biography, I've never read. Well worth a read, and a follow-up gallery-crawl. Poor chap, but the good times must have felt riotously good.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Dom Andrew wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:12 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 am - oh to nip into the time capsule and have a dabble there
Oh, indeed, Dave, but I would imagine that two of those gentlemen were the beaus of the the two young ladies respectively.

Dom. :Wink: :Chuckle:
:Hahaha:

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

ImageImageImage

The above are from “Spectacle de la Nature” translated into English. 1770. I thought there might be some interest in the comments on cray fishing and on carp. Elsewhere, the subject of angling is given only brief mention “.. as for angling, it does so little harm, that everybody is at liberty to take this diversion, that has the leisure and patience to follow it.”

( Note that “f” is used for “s” in, for example, the second “s” in fish. This system was thankfully dropped in 1801).

The Roach and perch look enormous. Clearly another place to pop off to in the old Tardis!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”