The Mayfly

General fly fishing chat area.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

The Mayfly

Post by Penninelad »

As if to rub my nose in it my regular Irish angling and boat partner sent me an email today saying he saw his first Mayfly yesterday but no fish were rising.There was also a tremendous hatch of olives.By now I would be usually starting my third week of fly fishing on the western Irish loughs. A week in March trolling and fishing lures,a week in April during the duck fly hatches and a week starting round about now to capitalise on the Mayfly.It has to said that the Mayfly hatch in recent years has been poor and often there has been a betting showing in June and early July.However I always enjoy my trips,pulling up to an island to get the Kelly Kettle going and have some lunch and perhaps catching some natural Mayfly to dap during the afternoon.Back in the early evening for a some supper and then out again to the Greenfields Hotel nearby to share fishing tales with local anglers.I am really missing.My friends all live 1/2 a mile from where we launch the boats so have been able to get out fishing singly in the boats and not venturing too far out into Lough Corrib. I am really looking foward to my first trip of the year whenever that is.
Mark Davies

Northern Eel
Chub

Re: The Mayfly

Post by Northern Eel »

Looks like you will get your wish from 18th May :fishing1:
At least your fishing friends will, sure you won’t be far behind.
:Beg:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Corrib is certainly a fantastic place to be afloat. Here's hoping it's safe enough for you to fish her soon Mark :Beg:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Dapping with naturals sounds like fun! how do you do that, a long rod and a special line? :Confused:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Dapping
I would guess most trout on Lough Corrib are caught by dappers.We use boats that have been specifically built to drift slowly sideways(it's too dangerous to use drogues because of the rocks just underneath the water).My boat is a Bourkes Anglers Fancy christianed by the previous owner "Ena".If I am dapping I use a Bruce and Walker 13' fibreglass rod and either a fixed spool or centre pin reel.We use dapping floss(sometimes called "blow line") which is fixed about 10' above the single hook.Two natural Mayfly are hooked and then dabbled on the surface letting the wind catch the floss and take the flys out in front of the boat.You do not strike when you get a take.You say something like "God Save The Queen" and like salmon the fish hooks itself.If you get a fish on your other angling companions(there may be three in a boat)usually reel in as a good fish can lead you a merry dance going under the boat and trying to snag you around the outboard.The live Mayfly are kept in an assortment of wooden boxes usually made from old cigar boxes or something similar.If you go past an island you will often see a boat pulled and people creeping along the shore and amongst the rushes collecting Mayfly.What about a TFF trip to fish the western loughs?There is also some exceptional river fishing in the area,although there are extensive restrictions regarding catching salmon Andy sea trout. I am sure there are YouTube videos showing dapping.
Mark Davies

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

A TFF trip out to Galway sounds great! Which area of Corrib are you based in Mark? I've stayed in Oughterard and Knockferry

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I keep my boat at Annakeane, Headford and usually fish out of there, although sometimes we transport the boats by trailer if we want to launch from further away.
Mark Davies

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

There's certainly no shortage of water to try! :Hat:

Bobthefloat
Zander

Post by Bobthefloat »

It all sounds wonderful I hope you manage to get back their in the not so distant future

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I hope you can be back on Corrib soon! I had to cancel my trip which should have started first of May...
Next year I will be there hopefully.
Stay safe, Bobby

Return to “General Fly Chat”