Post by Thyratron »

This is an excellent idea from Chris/ Old tackle. :Hat:

regards,
Paul.

Bilch
Stickleback

Re: D.A.M. Super

Post by Bilch »

I'm a totally new to this forum and I already have my first question.

Not long ago I was lucky enough to come across a DAM Quick Super in a very good condition. It is the same model as @Thyratron 's, but not as beautiful.
Super 11.jpg
Super 12.jpg
As I found out, this is one of the first Super models. They have a triangular brake nut, serial number on bottom side of the case, green bearing cover on the left and black plastic plate cover on the right side. The later models had no serial number, both covers were light grey, and they had a different spool and brake nut (like this one viewtopic.php?f=422&t=31457&p=412855&hi ... er#p412736).

I want to fish with this reel, but there is one problem. Its drag. The spool/drag is the Achilles' heel of the earlier models because there is only one washer. The later models had 6 washers. I also discovered, that the spools of later Supers and those of 550 Quicks are interchangeable (although the Supers had metal and 550s had plastic spools), but that doesn’t necessarily mean, that the spools of different super models are also interchangeable.
Does anyone know, if the spool and the brake nut of the newer Super models/550 Quicks fits on the old Super as well? In case the spool of the 550/newer Super fits, do I also need another nut, or can I use the one from my old super?

P.S. Shall I make a report on how I take the reel apart in order to clean and lubricate it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bilch on Wed May 20, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
So long, and thanks for all the fish

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Bilch wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:37 pm I'm a totally new to this forum and I already have my first question.

Not long ago I was lucky enough to come across a DAM Quick Super in a very good condition. It is the same model as @Thyratron 's, but not as beautiful.

Super 11.jpg

Super 12.jpg

As I found out, this is one of the first Super models. They have a triangular brake nut, serial number on bottom side of the case, green bearing cover on the left and black plastic plate cover on the right side. The later models had no serial number, both covers were light grey, and they had a different spool and brake nut (like this one viewtopic.php?f=422&t=31457&p=412855&hi ... er#p412736).

I want to fish with this reel, but there is one problem. Its brake. The spool/brake is the Achilles' heel of the earlier models because there is only one washer. The later models had 6 washers. I also discovered, that the spools of later Supers and those of 550 Quicks are interchangeable (although the Supers had metal and 550s had plastic spools), but that doesn’t necessarily mean, that the spools of different super models are also interchangeable.
Does anyone know, if the spool and the brake nut of the newer Super models/550 Quicks fits on the old Super as well? In case the spool of the 550/newer Super fits, do I also need another nut, or can I use the one from my old super?

P.S. Shall I make a report on how I take the reel apart in order to clean and lubricate it?
They are lovely reels these DAM Quick Supers. I'll check whether the spools are interchangeable. I've got two different Supers and a 550.

What are you going to use the reel for?

Go ahead with your report on how to service the reel!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Bilch
Stickleback

Post by Bilch »

Duebel wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 pm They are lovely reels these DAM Quick Supers. I'll check whether the spools are interchangeable. I've got two different Supers and a 550.

Thanks!
I plan on using it for dead bait fishing (pike, big trout ...)

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Welcome Bilch,
Definitely a question for Martin! However, I concur with the question of what to use it for...they area bit of a beast, but lovely! Always worth posting re stripping and servicing a reel. I've done one Super, and had to clean and grease the race - the bearings love grease - and I was correctly advised by a fellow member to remove the race cover against the housing as it's not absolutely necessary, thus enabling you to get a good amount in.
Enjoy!
Regards Cat

Bilch
Stickleback

Post by Bilch »

Duebel wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 pm They are lovely reels these DAM Quick Supers. I'll check whether the spools are interchangeable. I've got two different Supers and a 550.

Sorry to bother you, have you managed to find anything out?

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Bilch wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 am

Sorry to bother you, have you managed to find anything out?
I've got the older Super with the serial number, like you have, and the spool and nut of a 550 fit perfectly. So I'm 90% sure, that the spools and nuts of any Super and 550 are fully interchangeable.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Bilch
Stickleback

Post by Bilch »

Duebel wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:15 pm I've got the older Super with the serial number, like you have, and the spool and nut of a 550 fit perfectly. So I'm 90% sure, that the spools and nuts of any Super and 550 are fully interchangeable.
Great news! Thanks a lot :Thumb: If I use a spool of the 550, do I also need another nut, or can I attach the spool using the nut of the old super?

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

I think you can use the old nut.

Bilch
Stickleback

Post by Bilch »

Cat wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:59 pm Welcome Bilch,
Definitely a question for Martin! However, I concur with the question of what to use it for...they area bit of a beast, but lovely! Always worth posting re stripping and servicing a reel. I've done one Super, and had to clean and grease the race - the bearings love grease - and I was correctly advised by a fellow member to remove the race cover against the housing as it's not absolutely necessary, thus enabling you to get a good amount in.
Enjoy!
Regards Cat
Cat, I need your advice regarding the ball bearing. I finally had time to take the reel apart and I will hopefully put it back together shortly. That means I also need to properly grease the bearing.
How did you remove the cover? Can I use a screwdriver? Is there something I should pay special attention to?
Thanks in advance!

Return to “DAM Reels”