Cockles

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Sneezewort
Bleak

Cockles

Post by Sneezewort »

I’ve had some success on cockles this term... natural, fleshy, smellier the better... I remember first seeing the late John Wilson floatfishing for Carp under the Oaks at a lake in Norfolk on one of his early Go Fishing series.
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Cockles

Post by RBTraditional »

Sneezewort wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:11 pm I’ve had some success on cockles this term... natural, fleshy, smellier the better... I remember first seeing the late John Wilson floatfishing for Carp under the Oaks at a lake in Norfolk on one of his early Go Fishing series.
Cracking bait and will not only lure carp, I’ve used them for tench in the summer and chub during the winter months.... :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I've been using them a lot, for the last couple of years. Great bait. I've taken plenty of crucians on them. They also seem to pick out the better stamp of roach. Presumably too big for the tiddlers.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Unfortunately, on the Wey, they are the No. 1 signal crayfish attractant. Had my pb last year the size of a lobster.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Frank Guttfield wrote 'In Search of Big Fish' in 1964 and he used them a lot for tench - with varied success. I used to float fish cockles for carp and had a 15lb common that was a pb at the time. They are indeed a good bait.

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

MGs wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 am I've been using them a lot, for the last couple of years. Great bait. I've taken plenty of crucians on them. They also seem to pick out the better stamp of roach. Presumably too big for the tiddlers.
:Thumb:
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Luga00 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:34 am Unfortunately, on the Wey, they are the No. 1 signal crayfish attractant. Had my pb last year the size of a lobster.
🦞🦞🦞🦞🦞🦞
I can only sympathise ! Where about son the Wey do you fish out of interest ?
Earthing the current

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 am Frank Guttfield wrote 'In Search of Big Fish' in 1964 and he used them a lot for tench - with varied success. I used to float fish cockles for carp and had a 15lb common that was a pb at the time. They are indeed a good bait.
I’m wondering whether the vinegar they usually come in is detrimental at all or indeed whether supplementing with something even more flavoursome might work - now CY would probably vote for paprika! :Wink:
Earthing the current

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Frank G also used them with great success for - rudd!

Buy them fresh never had a bite on the "vinegar" ones!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Sneezewort wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:10 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 am Frank Guttfield wrote 'In Search of Big Fish' in 1964 and he used them a lot for tench - with varied success. I used to float fish cockles for carp and had a 15lb common that was a pb at the time. They are indeed a good bait.
I’m wondering whether the vinegar they usually come in is detrimental at all or indeed whether supplementing with something even more flavoursome might work - now CY would probably vote for paprika! :Wink:
Olly is dead right, vinegar is not a good bait additive - buy fresh/frozen. They need no flavouring as fish love 'em as they are.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”