Repair Shop

Listen to recordings of all things angling.
Harry H
Tench

Repair Shop

Post by Harry H »

On tonight's programme they repair a fishing tackle box :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MGs
Pike

Re: Repair Shop

Post by MGs »

I'll be watching
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

It's started. :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

Great job! :Thumb:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Never miss recording it! Even the repeats. Free University for fettlers!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A Kiley seatbox - made after 1972.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The late Roy Kiley had a tackle shop in Norwich and a fine collection of cane rods, some specially made for him. He sold them off to someone I used to know before his death and I got a look at them all. I particularly remember a Sharpe's impregnated float rod at 11 feet that looked like new.

Parabolic
Dace

Post by Parabolic »

In my opinion this program has now been watered down too much. It used to show how things were being repaired, techniques and tricks, but its overriding ethos now appears to be a big emotional "journey", and more about how the people bringing the items to be repaired feel and their story. As for the repairers, a drama now seems to be made of any activity.

This might be perfect fodder for some, but for one looking for technical interest I feel it is no longer for me.
Last edited by Parabolic on Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Parabolic wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:33 pm In my opinion this program has now been watered down too much. It used to show how things were being repaired, techniques and tricks, but it 's overriding ethos now appears to be a big emotional "journey", and more about how the people bringing the items to be repaired feel and their story. As for the repairers, a drama now seems to be made of any activity.

This might be perfect fodder for some, but for one looking for technical interest I feel it is no longer for me.
I tend to agree Para, in fact myself and SWMBO have a giggle because its become very ‘ syrupy ‘ for want of a better description. We sit and create imagined deleted scenes when the “ repairers” fall out between themselves, hammers and screwdrivers and paintbrushes being thrown about, the guys chasing the gals around, and vice versa, the occasional risque remarks , cock up on the repair fronts etc .

We magine all sorts if nefarious goings on, and wonder what would happen if somebody came to collect something and it was completeley what they did not want doing. Obviously anything even slightly out of kilter would be edited out.

I do remember one item that was in for repair, a radiogramme of some sort, and the young woodworker chap was tasked with doing a cabinet standard repair to the top, he made a complete pigs ears of the job, and when it came to it being returned the top was kept well out of shot, but just about visible if you really look. It was very apparent early on it was not going to plan, wrong veneer, badly matched and finished.

Having said the above, I will say that there are some truly skilful people there , and I do still watch it and mentally edit out all the syrup. There are still things to be learned I think if you have the stamina to sit through the guff.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Spot on David. Off to find this now. The very few glimpses of the ambidex repair were extremely interesting but it could have been so much more. Thanks for the heads up Richard. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Return to “Pod Casts and Radio Recordings Etc”