Roach Reflections

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Re: Roach Reflections

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Mark99 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:11 am Incomplete ref River Hiz but interesting to people like me who love chalk streams.

https://www.hertsmemories.org.uk/conten ... hiz-part-1
Very interesting, Im not too far from Hitchin and had no idea of this river.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Ally wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:08 pm I remember Ivan Marks saying about hooking a maggot the right way. Means the hook would stick up so you a chance of foul hooking in a match on a stillwater. Not something that applies to most of us. Debatable anyway
Foul-hooked bream were the last thing an angler like Ivan needed, as they were liable to come off and spook the shoal. I've used the method since the mid 70s and it results in more hooked bites. About the same time a mate told me that he always changed his bait if he missed a bite as other fish sometimes shunned a rejected bait, which we later observed in very clear water.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

DaceAce wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:12 pm
Ally wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:08 pm I remember Ivan Marks saying about hooking a maggot the right way. Means the hook would stick up so you a chance of foul hooking in a match on a stillwater. Not something that applies to most of us. Debatable anyway
Foul-hooked bream were the last thing an angler like Ivan needed, as they were liable to come off and spook the shoal. I've used the method since the mid 70s and it results in more hooked bites. About the same time a mate told me that he always changed his bait if he missed a bite as other fish sometimes shunned a rejected bait, which we later observed in very clear water.
I would hope that Allys post would have read "had less chance of a foul hooked fish" not only for the reasons stated by Mark W, but also out of common decency for a quarry angled for. We are not commercial fishermen nor in survival situation, we are brothers of the angle are we not? No debate as far as I'm concerned :Hat:

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Only repeating what Marks said in AT long ago. I remember it because it started a controversy in the letters page. I cant see it would make much difference though I do usually hook maggots that way

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Here's Part 14 which is about casters:

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Ally wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:39 pm Only repeating what Marks said in AT long ago. I remember it because it started a controversy in the letters page. I cant see it would make much difference though I do usually hook maggots that way
Here's the article. Worth noting that Peter Collins actually wrote the article so may have been looking for some controvery:
AT19741023 small.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

DaceAce wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 am Here's Part 14 which is about casters:
Thank you Mark. Superb. :Hat:

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Well turned up Daceace. 1974 ... wow. Glad my memorys not faulty. Yes I remember the 'was talking to' tag at the end.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I'm continuing to create videos for my Roach Reflections and here's Part 15 which is about two of my favourite roach baits, hemp and tares:

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

DaceAce wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:11 pm I'm continuing to create videos for my Roach Reflections and here's Part 15 which is about two of my favourite roach baits, hemp and tares:
Thanks for these Mark, I’ve really enjoyed your insight, the old photos really add to the subject also

I don’t suppose you’d share which bulk supplier you obtain you hemp from?

Regards,

Dipper :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Return to “Fishing Films”