Derek Stritton - Too Many Rods

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: Derek Stritton - Too Many Rods

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Aitch wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:27 am We spent more time keeping the resident birdlife off our baited spots to watch starlings... plus fending off the gnats and mossies... as a lad back then I was more interested in the fish than the birds... and the non feathered birds were a distraction to say the least... especially as in the 70's there was a fair amount of voluptuous flesh on show to distract a young buck of 17 summers
I think our favourite ( !) day was the soapbox Derby being run down the hill. Home made contraptions running into the lake, ladies dressed for the beach, shouting over the PA. And I confess to keeping my camouflage netting up like Mr Gibbibson had told us in his last article!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

South Weald

Searching for a shot with you in Aitch!

5 stars for the trousers in the background
20210109_105155.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

"Guesting" at Copped Hall in Epping was a bit of fun... hiding from the bailiff "Mister Wofford" during the day and fishing at night with floating crust... my buddy Richard got caught and had his tackle confiscated... he got it back after his father who was a lawyer went round to see "Mr Wofford" and explained his sons rights and what he as a bailiff was legally entitled to do... but Richard was uneasy about going again so we looked for pastures new... from there we went to Wake Valley Pond... we tried Blackweir Pond (AKA The Lost Pond) but found it a disturbing place to night fish... we couldn't put a finger on why though... it just had "an atmosphere"
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I was fishing South Weald around 77' 78...

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Was that the one on ‘back to back’ crust cast to the reeds on the far bank?

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tony.J.Newman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:50 pm Was that the one on ‘back to back’ crust cast to the reeds on the far bank?
No, I think it was on Window cleaner Johns rod whilst he was walking round the Top Lake
Not the greatest idea as he was the only one with a car and my taxi to the lake

Cooky
Stickleback

Post by Cooky »

Some great memories here chaps, more please especially the Epping Forest ponds - they sound interesting.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Sadly they are but shadows of the lovely ponds I knew... My lass and I went for a picnic at Baldwins hill in the summer... it was a mess with fallen branches and trees everywhere only a couple of swims were fishable by the outflow at the far end... it was shallow and silted badly...

The Road pond on the hill before the Wake arms again was shallow, silted and choked with weed and walking into the the forest, the old pond had almost dried up with just the odd puddle to mark its passing...

I didn't venture in to see Blackweir pond (the Lost Pond) the last time there I felt uneasy... it has an atmosphere that I do not like, so let it lie unseen...

I will venture along one day to see Wake Valley as I think it is still fished.... Sadly the ponds have been allowed to slip into disrepair over the years which I find sad and the council has a cheek to charge a fee for anyone who fishes them...

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Went to Wake Valley to have a pre fishing look in the 70s. It looked good. Was aware of strange " scrunching " noise as I walked and was suddenly aware of the bank just covered in tiny escaping frogs.

I didn't like it- but to avoid having to stand still for a week, a few more froglets were lost in the walk out

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”