Unknown Rod with nice steel rod tube.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Harry H
Tench

Re: Unknown Rod with nice steel rod tube.

Post by Harry H »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:24 pm The tube looks a bit agricultural for a quality rod :-)
I've seen them like that for snooker cues they're normally about 5ft long
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

HH

My thoughts as well but I didn't want to detract from a great purchase. It would be interesting to know if the butt section has a steel core, a magnet would reveal all ;-)

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

A great link to the site, thanks Olly.
I was thinking the same about the Rod tub but a lot of work has gone into it it is even joined half way through...
Be interested to know if rod tubes were made in steel?
I haven’t seen one before.
I have a feeling I might not get to the bottom of it as in the make of the rod but that’s ok.
It’s a cracking little rod that I will look forward to trying after I replace just a little of the whipping , not much at all. I was just going to wipe it down sort that wiping out and re varnish it??? Any views on that?
As said by Mole-Patrol ......

Unfortunately for you several companies used similar ferrules after Hardy's patent expired. All you can go on are similarities on your rod with the makers of the day. Ultimately you may never know for sure.

Thanks again

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

It's both intriguing and frustrating when trying to identify a rod, I have a few that have evaded a proper name even after copious amounts of surfing (I am sure the web is getting worse for information gathering)
At the end of the day, use and enjoy your rod for what it is.
For comparison, these are fittings from an unmolested JA Walker rod.

ImageImageImage
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I think that JA Walker often goes under the radar, but he made some superb rods. He split from JJS Walker, Bampton & Co around 1930 and went his own way. Although he did make rods for at least one other company, branded in their name, not his.

One of the problems with identifying old rods is that makers could buy in brass work from other suppliers. Even Hardy sold their Lock-Fast ferrules to others after the patent expired.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Been very interesting...
The Walker bro’s must have known there stuff and what I have been reading in this thread made some nice rods too.
As has been said it can be a bit of a conundrum, but at the end of the day one thing I do know is that it’s a nice Quality rod are made in England with a good pedigree and nice fittings.
I’m looking forward to getting it out on the bank next season when hopefully we have a bit more freedom.

Thanks again

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Nice rod!

Trefor

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”