When is a fly not a fly ?

General fly fishing chat area.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: When is a fly not a fly ?

Post by Santiago »

Nothing to do with morals OMO. If you're using a fly rod and line and the hook is dressed with materials, whether artificial or natural, then it's a fly. All other definitions and add ons just built on this basic precept, and merely present clarity for classification purposes. In the same light, all flies are lures! But not all lures are flies! They're just branches of a dichotomous scheme of the classification of lures. That's my objective view, others may look at this with more subjective eyes! :Chuckle:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

When I’m lure fishing for Bass (plus the odd Gar and Mackerel) at Selsey, I sometimes meet a nice chap who uses those small plastic sand eels or shrimps on a fly rod. He tells me he uses anything between 1 and 3 of them. I tend to use one of those as a teaser above my shallow divers on hard days.

I’ve tried and failed to learn to cast a fly but he seems to use what looks like a conventional technique to me. Is that fly fishing or casting a lure with a fly rod?

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I impose rules on myself. No beads. No marabou or CDC. Single barbless hooks, size 10-14. One fly. Floating line. One rod and reel.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Duckett wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:07 pm When I’m lure fishing for Bass (plus the odd Gar and Mackerel) at Selsey, I sometimes meet a nice chap who uses those small plastic sand eels or shrimps on a fly rod. He tells me he uses anything between 1 and 3 of them. I tend to use one of those as a teaser above my shallow divers on hard days.

I’ve tried and failed to learn to cast a fly but he seems to use what looks like a conventional technique to me. Is that fly fishing or casting a lure with a fly rod?

Phil
Yer, they're flies. I have similar flies that came with a fly box from ebay. One is a soft plastic grasshopper perfectly formed to represent the real thing. All flies are lures!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Except when they're dries, emergers, nymphs etc etc....... :Sun:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Some of the very old pre-war 'imitations' by Allcock of grasshoppers, etc are worth a bit of money! Imitations may not be flies!

Is the 'imitation floating carp pellet fly' a copy of a natural fly - no!

Return to “General Fly Chat”